The Donation Pick Up Driver performs residential and business pick-ups of donated items that will be sold in our stores. This driver will be Beaverton based, with 75% routed in the Beaverton area and 25% between Beaverton and the NE Portland warehouse. Responsibilities include following route work orders, understanding donation acceptance criteria, vehicle inspection, and being a model representative of Habitat for Humanity and the ReStores. Drivers are expected to perform all work safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with staff, volunteers, donors, and customers.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, reporting to the Donations Pick Up Manager. Compensation starts at $15.00 - $18.00 an hour, commensurate with experience. Plus, a great benefits package with health insurance (medical, vision, alternative, prescription), dental insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, short-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program, and more!
- Drive a box truck in a safe, law abiding manner, and in accordance with organization policies
- Prepare for each work day utilizing the Truck Safety Checklist and reviewing daily route work orders
- Load and unload donated items safely
- Ensure every donation meets current donation criteria and provide properly completed donation receipts
- Communicate with donors politely and respectfully, including declining items that do not meet donation criteria, changes to scheduled pick up time, and gratitude for their generosity
- Accept and document fees collected in accordance with organization policies
- Report concerns or issues with donors or volunteers as they arise
- Monitor vehicle maintenance and report any issues or potential problems to the manager
- Assist ReStore staff with unloading trucks and other tasks as time permits
- Assist with new driver and volunteer training
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Competent use of box trucks, GPS, phone systems, and warehouse equipment
- Ability to safely use equipment to maneuver large loads
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds on an ongoing basis
- Knowledge of appropriate attire and neat appearance for work environment
- Skill in working in a team with staff and volunteers, following the lead and direction of leadership
- Communication skills for sharing Habitat’s and ReStore’s mission and purpose, and interacting effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and varied languages
- Time management skills, including timely arrival for shifts, taking appropriate breaks, and accuracy in reporting hours
- Knowledge of, as well as the desire and ability to teach, safety requirements
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
- High school degree or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Meet Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles regulations
- Experience volunteering and/or managing volunteers
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment and on both urban and rural streets
- This position is very active and requires and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing, and lifting throughout the entire work day
- This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
- 40 hours a week; days/times to be determined, includes weekends
Requested Application Materials
- Cover letter addressing how your personal and employment experiences have prepared you for this position
- Completed application (resume optional)
- Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.