The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
We are seeking an Assistant Audience Engagement Editor who can help us continue to grow our digital audience and make sure our news organization’s award-winning content gets viewed by as many people as possible. This is a multifaceted position in which the ideal candidate will have sound writing and editing skills, a passion for social media, and a knowledge of digital best practices and newsletter strategy.
This position reports to the Director of Audience Engagement.
• Curate home and section pages of the Sun-Times website to showcase the most relevant, timely and popular content
• Assign, edit and publish stories following the best practices of SEO, storytelling and audience engagement
• Identify trending and breaking news — and assign, write or aggregate stories that build audience based on those trends
• Manage Sun-Times social media, optimizing for sharing and engagement
• Write and edit newsletters, including some of our daily products
• Help direct and execute digital strategy for news events, including elections
• Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, graphics, text images, live streams, slideshows, social media embeds)
• Send breaking news alerts
• Translate data from analytics into publishing and promotion strategies
• Assist the Director in managing our team of Audience Engagement Specialists
• Minimum 3 years of experience in digital news
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
• Solid editorial judgment and ethics
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to tell stories in multimedia formats
• Working knowledge of social media platforms, and best practices
• Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; familiarity with Chartbeat, CrowdTangle and Buffer a plus.
• Experience creating and sending newsletters
• Capacity to keep cool under deadline pressure
• Ability to learn quickly and collaborate in a fast-paced environment
What we offer
• Opportunity to work with a team of forward-thinking professionals in a collaborative environment
• Competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package
• Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
Sun-Times Media Productions LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.