The Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) pioneers collaborative solutions to global ocean challenges. We steward the Gulf of Maine ecosystem and the hardworking communities that depend on it through a mix of science, education, and community programming.
GMRI seeks a Human Resources (HR) Director to support the evolving personnel needs of a growing organization. The primary role of the HR Director will be to lead efforts to focus on and address the developing priorities of GMRI relative to its most important asset, its employees. This role will include, but is not limited to employee relations, performance management, professional development, employment law, diversity, equity and inclusion, HR communications, and policy.
The HR Director will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will work closely with the Payroll and Benefits Specialist, the Management Team and the rest of the GMRI organization to meet the needs of a wide variety of employee stakeholders.
· Work closely with management and employees to develop and execute strategies to enhance culture, improve work relationships, build morale, and increase retention.
· Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough, and objective investigations.
· Manage performance management policies; provide training, implementation, and guidance as appropriate
· Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to managers (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary action).
· Identify and manage professional development needs for overall organization, individual departments, and individual staff to ensure staff members are able to accomplish their job responsibilities productively and efficiently.
· Manage Professional Development Reserve Fund to support staff in accomplishing their annual professional development goals.
· Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, ensuring regulatory compliance, and reduction of legal risks. Partner with external legal resources as needed/required.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
· Manage DEI initiatives, strategy development and implementation through Management, Board and Employee “JEDI” Groups.
· Ensure compensation policy is equitable, reasonable, affordable and within range of several diverse labor markets. Ensure all job categories and pay grades are applicable and communicated appropriately.
· Create and support the execution of activities and experiences that reinforce an inclusive organizational culture and help to achieve DEI objectives.
· Initiate benchmarking strategies to aid in adopting best practices for DEI.
· Stay at the forefront of the DEI landscape, remaining up to date on emerging topics and opportunities, and identifying new programs or initiatives that can bolster diversity within our organization
· Meet regularly with department leaders and supervisors to enhance communication related to HR issues and to support ongoing HR needs.
· Consult with management, providing HR guidance when appropriate.
· Provide longer range HR planning and support of GMRI Strategic Plan.
· Support and promote the culture, mission, and values of GMRI.
· Provide HR policy guidance and interpretation and ensure adherence of same.
· Partner with Finance & Admin colleagues to ensure non-HR policies across the organization are updated, implemented, and followed as appropriate.
Other General Responsibilities:
· Maintain collaborative team relationships with peers and colleagues.
· Create partnerships internally and externally to drive implementation of key HR initiatives.
· Manage all aspects of Benefits, including leading the annual renewal decision making process.
· Manage the recruiting and onboarding process. Assist in new staff orientation as assigned.
· Support CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
Personal and Professional Development:
· Attend and actively participate in conferences, educational programs/ workshops; apply acquired knowledge in practice.
· May participate in system-wide task forces/committees that further the goals of the organization.
· Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management or similar field required, advanced degree a plus
· HRCI or SHRM certification preferred
· 7-10 years’ experience in Human Resources
· Experience in Employee Relations required
· DEI experience preferred
Other Skills Required:
· Demonstrable commitment to the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct
· Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
· Facilitation, presentation, and negotiation experience and skills
· Analytical and problem-solving skills and excellent judgment
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
· Demonstrated ability to engage effectively at all levels of an organization and participate as a strong contributing team member
· Ability to work under pressure and challenging deadlines; adaptability and flexibility required
· Knowledge of all federal and state laws regarding employment