At Habitat for Humanity Portland Region, our shared vision is a world where everyone has a decent, affordable place to call home. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of committed professionals to help take our organization to new heights. We recently expanded our geographic service area, increasing our need for additional marketing and communications support.
The Communications Coordinator is an experienced writer skilled in interviewing, researching, and writing compelling copy for blogs, social media, event promotions, and emails. With volunteer support, this individual will elevate our mission by bringing our community building to life through photography and videography at construction sites, events, and more. Telling stories about our work is the foundation of Habitat for Humanity’s fundraising and friend-raising strategies. The Communications Coordinator is also responsible for managing the organization’s social media sites and editorial calendar.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, reporting to the Communication Manager.
Compensation starts at $17.00 - $21.29 an hour, commensurate with experience. Plus, a great benefits package with health insurance (medical, vision, alternative, prescription), dental insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, short-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program, and more!
- Develop and write compelling social media content utilizing the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, blog, and e-newsletter; develop the strategy and update the editorial calendar
- Monitor trends in social media; gather and report on analytics data
- Stay current on local, affordable housing news; follow and engage with key influencers on social media
- Work with the communications team to write copy for monthly e-newsletters
- Develop and implement social media plans for live and virtual events, including video
- Support the online advertising campaign through creation of social media ads
- Ensure Habitat’s messaging follows current brand guidelines
- Collaborate and manage volunteer videographers, storytellers, and photographers to expand our social media storytelling efforts
- Exceptional writing skills and a firm grasp of the English language, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for storytelling
- Basic photography and editing skills
- Basic videography and editing skills
- Experience with Microsoft Word
- Strong project management and organizational skills; can work independently and manage multiple deadlines
- Self-starter, motivated, and creative
- Commitment to and respect for diversity, equity, and inclusion work; ability to utilize an equity filter when creating communications
- Ability and desire to be a public supporter of Habitat for Humanity and represent the organization with positivity and consistency
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Two years minimum of writing experience
- Professional experience producing content for social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Must have reliable transportation
- Experience with Facebook Analytics and Facebook Ad Manager
- Building relationships and working with communities of color on storytelling efforts
- Interviewing non-English speakers with the support of interpreters
- Analyzing data in Google Analytics
- Project management software experience
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The office is a fast-paced, business casual environment (currently adjusted due to COVID-19)
- This employee will routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and printers
- This position requires local travel between organization locations in the employee’s personal vehicle
- 40 hours a week, will include evenings and weekends at times
How to Apply
Submit the items listed below by Sunday, January 24, 2021:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
- Two or more professional or published samples of writing
- Links to any professional social media profiles and blogs that you managed
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.