Habitat for Humanity Portland Region revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home. We recently expanded our geographic service area and are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of committed professionals to help take our organization to new heights.
The Community Development Manager leads the implementation of Habitat for Humanity Portland Region’s programs and services that improve the quality of life in targeted neighborhoods and communities. This position assesses the development goals and housing needs of communities, evaluates the opportunities to work collaboratively with other organizations, and makes recommendations to organization leadership.
This is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the VP, Homeownership & Neighborhood Programs.
Compensation starts at $45,698-$57,125 annually, commensurate with experience. Plus, a great benefits package with health insurance (medical, vision, alternative, prescription), dental insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, short-term disability insurance, an employee assistance program, and more!
- Build, maintain, participate in, and strengthen strategic alliances and working partnerships with community-based organizations, community action groups, and local government departments
- Facilitate the process of entering into formal partnerships with other entities to meet community development goals
- Implement data collection and evaluation of community development work
- Coordinate with Living Cully partners on anti-displacement efforts in the neighborhood, replication of the collective impact model for use in other communities, and other signature projects
- Build relationships within communities where Habitat is and will be building, and identify new partnering opportunities
- Partner with development staff to provide input, conduct research, and assist in the writing and preparing of grant proposals related to neighborhood revitalization and neighborhood coalition building
- Identify emerging needs and issues that impact housing and propose appropriate responses and advocacy priorities
- Manage the organization’s participation in the Quality of Life Framework Learning Cohort including all reporting requirements.
- Within Habitat for Humanity Portland Region develop an understanding of neighborhood revitalization, asset-based community development, and neighborhood-specific housing issues
- Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic, and visible spokesperson for the organization
- Create and sustain strong working partnerships with other members of the team while also contributing to the culture of teamwork and collaboration within the organization as a whole
- Commitment to serving people with low-incomes and communities of color, and advancing the critical call for affordable homeownership
- Strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills as well as the ability to think strategically
- In-depth understanding of gathering and reporting on quantitative and qualitative research
- Ability to effectively work with, manage, and lead volunteers
- Multi-tasking expert; ability to manage various projects and deadlines; attention to detail a must
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment, both as part of a team and independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; effective with diverse audiences
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Four years minimum experience in roles of increasing responsibility and leadership
- Proven success in community development or as a community organizer
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with low-income communities and communities of color in affordable housing or related issues
- Local knowledge of Portland area neighborhoods
- Written and verbal fluency in Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Somali, Burmese, Arabic, and/or Amharic
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The office is a fast-paced, business casual environment (currently adjusted due to COVID-19)
- This employee will routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and printers
- This position requires local travel between organization locations and community partners
- 40 hours a week, will include evenings and weekends at times
How to Apply
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references at the link below
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.