Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, proprietary Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff helps shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture and on-site perks. The company was named to the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies list for 2019 and 2020 and is among the top 25 in the Cleveland Metro Market. At the Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense is looking for a talented, high-energy, collaborative person to work closely with software development teams to implement the practices of transparent, continuous planning that inform our product roadmap and releases. A focus on establishing lean processes supporting frequent delivery of business value to customers is critical to the success of this role.
We are seeking someone with the experience, leadership skills, and passion for continuously improving our delivery process. The Agile Delivery Manager must be able to understand, discuss, and challenge software concepts. We are looking for someone to work within a highly technical team, building a complex product. The Agile Delivery Manager will have experience with a variety of methodologies (Kanban, Scrum, XP, etc.) and agile engineering practices (Test-Driven Development, Automated Unit/Acceptance Testing, Continuous Integration, Pair Programming, etc.) to act as a coach to the delivery teams.
Reporting into the VP of Software Development, the Agile Delivery Manager will be critical in helping the organization reach its development roadmap goals as well as providing support for strategic initiatives. This is a highly visible role within the Software Development organization and will both work closely with delivery teams and be tightly aligned with senior leadership, functional managers, and product management. As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive as a team when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedules.
• Apply the principles of transparency, teamwork, risk management, and communication to guide key initiatives across multiple development, operational, marketing, and sales teams with the goal of supporting their success.
• Serve multiple delivery teams by removing impediments that cannot be resolved at the team level.
• Develop and implements strategic, large and/or multi-phased initiatives from original concept through final implementation, creating plans, schedules, estimates, allocation of people, and status sharing in an Agile environment.
• Play a key role in the governance of Binary Defense’s portfolio planning and execution.
• Implement processes and supports teams to consider shared services and cross-team alignment at all levels of planning.
• Participate in the identification and implementation of tools that support our agile processes. Ensure the tools are selected with input from the users and are then adopted with consistency across teams to provide greater insight on the status of initiatives.?
• Evolve our metrics program to include quantitative and qualitative measures of value, outcome, velocity, morale, and satisfaction. Ensure the use of effective KPIs are integrated into the operating rhythm of our organization.
• Relentless in applying the discipline of transparency. We believe transparency is key to having trust and allowing for the best decisions and outcomes.
• Enable productivity by fostering cross-team communication, empowerment, and accountability. Help teams manage and resolve interdependencies, risks, conflicts, and impediments.
• Establish appropriately sized processes to help teams create, communicate, and continuously update plans. Works with product management, technical leadership, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders as appropriate to ensure all perspectives are being considered throughout planning and delivery.
• Facilitate complex events such as multi-team Release Planning. Train delivery teams on facilitation techniques to grow them to be able to facilitate complex events.
• Enable team communication and effective engagement with product management and other key stakeholders.
• Integrate the development of best practices, standards, procedures, and quality objectives.
• Partner with team members and other stakeholders to ensure backlog management, internal documentation, and reporting tools are implemented and used consistently across the organization.
• Focus on improving execution, effectiveness, and quality of service in all software delivery teams.
• Demonstrate leadership and is seen as a role model for creating a collaborative and Agile culture.
• Educate the organization in various aspects of Agile values, principles, frameworks, and practices through coaching, facilitation, and workshops.
• Internal Agile thought leader acting as a knowledge resource to developers, product managers, engineering leaders, and business stakeholders.
• Bring new ideas, continually challenge the status quo, and promote a continuous improvement mindset throughout the organization.
• Apply teamwork, risk management, and communication to lead key initiatives/teams that may not fall under traditional Agile management.
• Continuously tune the process to address the critical issues unique to the organization.
• Execute the scaling of our processes to support our product portfolio, major initiatives, and alignment of cross-team dependencies for delivery.
• Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct manager
• Computer Science, Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
• 5+ years of experience leading agile project and support delivery teams in a software product company.
• Proven track record of motivating teams, instilling accountability for value delivery.
• Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a business environment.
• A proven track record of successfully integrating the work of software engineering, quality engineering, and operations functions into cross-functional teams.
• Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the delivery teams are fully remote.
• Proven capability of managing multiple priorities effectively and performing under tight deadlines.
• Ability to communicate at all levels of the organization (including executive management) on issues of strategy, risk, process, and ongoing operations.
• Balanced business/technical background. Sufficient level of technical knowledge to provide highly credible leadership to technology teams. Ability to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues, and communicate these effectively to business stakeholders.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Assertive - not afraid to be a voice of reason and authority. Willing to hold teams accountable to vision and values.
• Situationally Aware - must be the first to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to teams and to management, where appropriate. Proven problem-solver.
• Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for delivering value.
• Attitude of transparency - must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about the team and grow business trust.
• Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
• Honest, friendly, and collegial.
• Creative problem-solver - with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the "big picture" view
• Excellent prioritization, risk identification, and issue problem solving skills to keep projects on track.
• Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve resource contention as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Accountable - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
• Communicative and social - excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills including the ability to work with diverse stakeholders and personality types. Ability to bridge the gap between technical and business stakeholders.
• Experience with mix of processes (Kanban, Scrum, XP, LeSS, SAFe, Waterfall, etc.).
• Experience in security industry.
• CSM, CSP, CSD, ACP or similar project management, business analysis, product management, and agile certifications.