Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, proprietary Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff helps shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture and on-site perks. The company was named to the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies list for 2019 and 2020 and is among the top 25 in the Cleveland Metro Market. At the Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense is looking for a talented, collaborative Architect, Quality Engineering to work alongside software engineers to enrich and execute a team-based quality discipline. We believe that quality is a team sport, and that excellent software is created through the close proximity of development and test activities. Being able to influence day-to-day and work within a software delivery team is critical to the success of this role.
We are seeking someone with the experience, technical ability, leadership skills, and passion for continuously improving our quality process, practices, & tools. The Architect, Quality Engineering must be able to bring expertise in quality assurance, test automation, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD), pairing, Test Driven Development (TDD), Behavior Driven Development (BDD), Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD), and agile processes. We are looking for someone to work within a highly technical team, building a complex product.
Reporting into the VP of Software Development, the Architect, Quality Engineering will be critical in helping the organization reach its development roadmap goals and support a product experiencing rapid growth. As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive as a team when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedules.
• Responsible for identification and implementation of tools that support our quality system and automation framework. Ensure the tools are selected with input from the delivery team and are then adopted with consistency.?
• Works with internal security experts to leverage the latest tools for replicating established and emerging security threats.
• Partners with developers, product management, and other internal subject matter experts to ensure the team has a strategy to achieve desired testing coverage (including functional requirements and non-functional objectives).
• Provides quality and automation mentorship to a team of software engineers.
• Pairs with developers to write automated functional and acceptance tests.
• Works with delivery teams to design and create build pipelines that support continuous testing.
• Participate in design/code reviews, measure code coverage, assess overall system quality, and ensure effectiveness.
• Establish approach and team discipline for Performance Engineering.
• Provides oversight and insights to improve test environments and test data management.
• Design and build automation frameworks incorporating a variety of technologies to improve the capabilities of products.
• Architect and write code to improve the quality of the automation.
• Champion solutions that learn from production defect leakage and subsequently improve the Quality Engineering process.
• Guides regular activity with the delivery team to assess current state of quality and builds plans to improve.
• Standardize reporting of key performance metrics to assess impact and value.
• Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct manager.
• Computer Science, Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
• 8+ years of hands-on software development experience.
• Significant experience with Python, F#, or C# required.
• Proven experience with Windows and Linux operating systems.
• Extensive experience using automated frameworks is required.
• Aptitude and desire to learn security tools to replicate techniques used during cyber-attacks.
• Ability to take high level product goals and architect/design appropriate technical solutions.
• Ability to successfully drive adoption/support of strategic tools and frameworks across multiple teams.
• Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the delivery teams are fully remote.
• Excellent communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Technologist - Knowledge and interest in the latest system architecture, automation, and data management trends with the ability to rapidly learn and apply new technology. Strong ability to share and teach to accelerate the team's adoption of new technologies.
• Collaborative - Works closely with team members and stakeholders to understand needs, gain perspective, and collectively deliver solutions with a shared purpose. Skilled negotiator who is ability to motivate, persuade, and build consensus.
• Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for quickly delivering value.
• Adaptive and Inclusive - works with team members to understand pain points and adjust standards, tools, and best practices accordingly.
• Attitude of transparency - must desire to bring disclosure and transparency.
• Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
• Honest, humble, friendly, and collegial.
• Creative problem-solver - Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy while maintaining the "big picture" view
• Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve impediments as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Accountable - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
• Communicative and social - excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills including the ability to work with diverse stakeholders and personality types. Ability to bridge the gap between technical and business stakeholders to explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences.
• Experience with mix of processes (Kanban, Scrum, XP, LeSS, SAFe, Waterfall, etc.).
• Experience in security industry.