Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, proprietary Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff helps shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture and on-site perks. The company was named to the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies list for 2019 and 2020 and is among the top 25 in the Cleveland Metro Market. At the Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to work within a cross-functional team to expand the capabilities of our flagship product. We believe that production stability is a responsibility of the entire delivery team, and that excellent software is created through the close proximity of development and operations activities. Keep reading if you are a software engineer with a passion for automation, enjoy short release cycles, appreciate working as a core member of a software delivery team, and relentlessly focus on continuous improvement.
Implementing tools for automating, monitoring, and improving both system reliability and availability are at the core of what you will be doing each day. You will be a Subject Matter Expert in evaluating performance and risk of outgoing software features. Additionally, you will lead the effort of monitoring, tracking, reporting, and improving trends for Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and performance against Service Level Objectives (SLOs) within agreed upon error budgets.
Reporting into the Manager, Software Development, this role will be critical in helping the organization reach its development roadmap goals and support a product experiencing rapid growth. As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive as a team when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedules.
• Focused on reliability, performance, efficiency improvements, & monitoring of the various environments supporting our internal team members and external customers.
• Participate as a member of an agile delivery team through the full life cycle from ideation, deployment, operation, & refinement.
• As a member of a delivery team, you will be involved in design, development, testing, capacity planning, and readiness reviews.
• Responsible for identification and implementation of enablement tools that support our continuous integration (CI) / continuous delivery (CD) system and automation framework. Ensure the tools are selected with input from the delivery team and are then adopted with consistency.?
• Partners with developers, product management, and other internal subject matter experts to ensure the team has a strategy to achieve desired service level objectives (SLOs).
• Leads effort to monitor, alert, & report on overall system health by tracking Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs).
• Shares the status of key performance indicators and metrics via dashboards.
• Uses data to advocate for changes that will measurably improve reliability and increase velocity.
• Reduces manual activities with limited long-term value through automation. Measures, establishes goals, and celebrates the improvements achieved.
• Participates in the on-call rotation with other delivery team members.
• Performs initial review and triage of production issues, escalates as appropriate.
• Champions sustainable incident response and blameless root cause analysis.
• Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
• Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the delivery teams are fully remote.
• 7+ years of hands-on software development experience.
• Proven experience with Windows and Linux operating systems.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills.
• Experience with:
AWS Solution architecture and management. Including: EC2, ECS, S3, VPC
Infrastructure as code
• Ability to successfully define and drive adoption of tools, processes, and frameworks across multiple teams.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Technologist - Knowledge and interest in the latest system architecture, automation, cloud, and advanced technology trends with the ability to rapidly learn and apply new technology. Strong ability to share and teach to accelerate the team's adoption of new technologies.
• Calculated Risk Taker - Understands that end user satisfaction is a balance between features, service, and performance.
• Collaborative - Works closely with team members and stakeholders to understand needs, gain perspective, and collectively deliver solutions with a shared purpose.
• Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for quickly delivering value.
• Adaptive and Inclusive - works with team members to understand pain points and adjust standards, tools, and best practices accordingly. Learns from the team and adjusts with a focus on enablement.
• Attitude of transparency - must desire to bring disclosure and transparency.
• Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
• Honest, humble, friendly, and collegial.
• Creative problem-solver - Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy while maintaining the "big picture" view
• Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve impediments as well as to meet changing business needs.
• Accountable - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
• Experience with mix of processes (Kanban, Scrum, XP, LeSS, SAFe, Waterfall, etc.)
• Experience in security industry
• Experience with Windows
• Administration and Scaling of the following: Dotnet core