Ayuda is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Ayuda envisions a community where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States. Since 1973, Ayuda has helped low-income immigrants achieve safety and stability for themselves and their families by providing legal services in in the areas of immigration law, domestic violence protection orders and family law, as well as social services and access to interpreters and translators. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC; Silver Spring, MD; and Fairfax, VA.
WHY YOU WANT THIS JOB?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
• In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
• In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
• That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
• That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
• That diversity and equality make this country better.
WHAT WILL THIS JOB ENTAIL?
• Provide legal representation and advice to low-income immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking in civil protection orders and family law cases (child custody, child support and divorce) in DC Superior Court;
• Advocate on behalf of clients in related criminal matters;
• Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing new laws, regulations and court rules;
• Train area service providers and government agencies, including law enforcement;
• Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
• Conduct outreach presentations to potential clients and partner agencies;
• Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services;
• Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports; and
• Other duties as assigned
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THIS JOB?
• J.D. or LL.M. from accredited law school required;
• Fluency in English and Spanish required;
• Member in good standing with, or eligible to immediately waive into, DC Bar required;
• Strong legal, organizational and time-management skills;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team;
• Legal experience in family law a plus;
• Experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or other trauma a plus;
• Experience working with immigrants living in poverty a plus; and
• Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is based on a pay range and starts at $60,000 for staff attorney with 2 years of directly relevant experience. Ayuda offers a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.
Please apply with resume and cover letter. Writing samples may be requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Apply early for full consideration. No phone calls, please.
Ayuda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of underrepresented communities.