Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, hourly, part-time (up to 20 hours per week), Currently 100% remote (subject to change)
Schedule: Monday – Friday (hours flexible)
About the Downtown San Diego Partnership
The Downtown San Diego Partnership (DSDP) serves as the leading advocate for the economic vitality and growth of Downtown San Diego. We are a member-based, nonprofit organization with nearly 300 members, representing a variety of business sectors including real estate, technology, banking, law, defense, insurance, communications, energy, and tourism. Our members are committed to creating a vital and vibrant urban center that benefits the entire San Diego region.
In addition, we manage the Property and Business Improvement District (also called our Clean & Safe Program), City Center Business Improvement District (BID) and three Charitable Foundations. Through these programs, we provide enhanced services in maintenance, safety, and beautification within 275 blocks in Downtown, support business promotion and retention, and improve the quality of life within our community. These programs provide an annual contractual budget of approximately $9.3M annually.
Clean & Safe is committed to serving the following neighborhoods: City Center, Columbia, Cortez Hill, East Village, Gaslamp Quarter and Marina that make up Downtown San Diego. The 24/7 Operations consists of maintenance services along the public right of way, beautification efforts along with security and outreach services. This includes: Sweeping, trash removal, doggy bag dispenser refill, tree trimming, pressure washing, graffiti, gum and sticker removal. The Clean & Safe Operations is committed to providing great customer service along with providing a cleaner and safer downtown to our stakeholders and residents.
To learn more about our work in these areas, please visit: https://downtownsandiego.org/
•Deliver excellent service: We strive to provide exceptional customer service through listening to our customers, providing efficient services, and innovative solutions resulting in value for our many stakeholders.
• Be fun and open-minded with a quirky sense of creativity: We work hard but take time to celebrate our collective achievements and realize there's always more than one perspective to consider when approaching a challenge.
• Pursue growth and learning: We invest in our people so they can continue to build skills and perspectives that enrich the work we do.
• Build honest relationships and communication: We believe honesty leads to strong relationships built on a foundation of trust.
• Nurture a safe work environment: We have a collective commitment to emphasize safety over competing goals to ensure the protection of people and our environment.
• Inclusiveness and diversity: We honor the inherent value of every individual’s unique story, experience, and perspective. We strive to amplify the voices of our staff, community, and stakeholders and to create a safe and inclusive environment where everyone can contribute one's authentic self.
Internship Opportunity Overview:
Under the direction of the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing and Communications Intern will assist with a variety of tasks relating to social media management, media relations, strategic communications, and marketing for the Downtown San Diego Partnership. A successful candidate will have a firm understanding of the digital media landscape (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube), strong fundamentals in traditional media relations, an excitement for creative campaigns and programs, and a desire to use their skills to help the Downtown community. This position will also require strong writing, organization, and time management skills.
The Marketing and Communications Intern will have the opportunity to work independently on research, recommendations and writing for certain projects – particularly for the organization's social media accounts – as well as work alongside the Marking and Communications Department on strategic initiatives to benefit the organization as well as the Downtown community.
Essential Job Functions and Duties:
Social Media Management – 40%
• Draft regular social media content for Downtown Partnership platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram)
• Attend meetings and check-ins to source content and ideas to tell the story of the Downtown Partnership
• Conduct monthly assessments of social media analytics and provide key takeaways and recommendations
• Review social media content performance for learnings about each platform’s audiences, their preferred content, posting time, and visual content strategies
• Monitor social media accounts for community engagement and content opportunities
Media Relations – 30%
• Assist with drafting press materials
• Conduct media outreach
• Review media lists and update as needed
• Maintain organization’s media mentions tracking sheet
• Review local news for clips of relevance to Downtown
Marketing & Communications Projects – 20%
• Assist with website edits and updates, as needed
• Conduct research and provide recommendations based on analysis
• Assist with the creation of planning documents and other written materials
• Attend regular department check-in meetings
Administrative Tasks – 10%
• Answer all calls, emails, and other forms of electronic communication in a polite and professional manner
• Use company telephone and software solely for business purposes and timecard features (Paylocity)
**Please note this internship description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the intern for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.**
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
• High school diploma or GED; BA in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or Public Relations preferred (students currently pursuing these areas of study strongly encouraged to apply)
• Excellent writing skills including an understanding of AP style guide preferred
• Ability to navigate meetings with stakeholders via Zoom and various electronic platforms
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, Outlook
• Basic understanding of WordPress platforms preferred
• Ability to work varied hours
• Outstanding customer service skills, in person and electronic (email/phone)
• Ability to read and write in English; bilingual or multilingual a plus
• Ability to use a telephone and computer for data collection and research
• Team Player
• Attention to Detail
• Outstanding Communication Skills
• Strategic Thinker
• Strong Writer