Sustained competitive excellence is one of USA Volleyball’s strategic priorities. The National Team Development Program (NTDP) supports the development of future generations of American volleyball players that will successfully compete against the best teams in the world.
The Senior Manager of the National Team Development Program is a regular full time position assuming a critical role in managing our efforts to identify, recruit, and accelerate the development of high potential youth volleyball players for the ultimate purpose of strengthening future Senior National Teams and improving international competitiveness across Olympic and Paralympic Disciplines of the Game (Men’s and Women’s Indoor, Men’s and Women’s Beach, Men’s and Women’s Sitting). Critically, every initiative within the NTDP will be constructed with the long term health and wellness of the athlete in mind.
Extended hours may be required to include nights, weekends and holidays. Frequent domestic travel in support of NTDP events will be expected for this position. International travel in support of youth national team competitions may vary on a year-to-year basis.
The position is located in Colorado Springs, however, due to COVID-19, it may begin in a telecommuting capacity, returning to in-office work as public health guidelines permit.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Lead recruitment of selected athletes and establish effective communication strategies in support of athletes, parents, club coaches, directors, and Region commissioners.
- Lead the NTD Training Series and local/regional Accelerator initiatives to provide differentiated and developmentally appropriate training and competition experiences for selected athletes.
- Lead the optimization of departmental resources through effective financial planning and management. Develop and monitor annual budgets. Write, approve, and organize contracts.
- Manage the NTD Academy to provide high quality, online learning experiences for athletes, coaches/club directors, and parents. Coordinate with the Director, Coach Education, National Team Coaching staff, Chief of Sport, and content experts to define a meaningful and engaging curriculum. Identify and secure speakers and authors that will contribute to a high quality experience for intended audiences.
- Manage USAVplay initiatives to offer learning-centric, position-agnostic training sessions designed to maximize skill development opportunities based on the efficacy of small-sided games.
- Manage the development of innovative programs like “Bio-banding” training sessions, camps, and/or tournaments to address relative age bias and mitigate growth and maturation-related developmental constraints.
- Support the development of a national network of qualified scouts to effectively identify high potential youth players in each discipline of the Game. Identify, evaluate, select, recruit, and train network personnel on key processes and procedures.
- Ensure independent contractor service obligations are met in accordance with contract provisions.
- Support the development of athlete evaluation rubrics and evaluator calibration procedures that are relevant to each gender, discipline, and age group.
- Support the creation and effective utilization of feedback reports and individual development plans for selected athletes.
- Support the recruitment, selection, and onboarding of coaches in support of NTD Training Series, Accelerators, USAVplay and Youth National Teams.
- Support the development and implementation of metrics to evaluate and report upon athlete progress, athlete, coach, and parent engagement, stakeholder satisfaction, and program impact.
- Support requests for written and verbal reports for internal and external stakeholders and present department program information as requested.
- Coordinate with the Director, Coach Education, National Team Coaching staff, and Chief of Sport to ensure that programs, philosophies, and language are aligned across the competitive spectrum.
- Coordinate with USAV Events Department to improve quality and competitiveness of High Performance Championships (or future iterations thereof) in each discipline.
- Collaborate with internal departments to (re-)brand, effectively market, and communicate all elements of the NTDP.
- Maintain current and future schedules of relevant age-group international competitions across genders and disciplines. Coordinate with National Team Coaching Staff to identify opportunities to organize and/or compete in high quality international tournaments and friendlies.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in coach education, sport science, or related field or equivalent work experience is required. Masters or above in Coach Education, Sport Science, Engineering, or Sport Administration is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of holistic youth athlete development is required. This includes but is not limited to technical, tactical, physical, and mental/psychological development of youth sport athletes.
- Volleyball coaching and/or playing experience is required for this position.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a leadership or senior management capacity with significant responsibility for youth development initiatives is required. Experience with Olympic, Paralympic, or National Governing Body/Sports Federations, National Teams, National Youth Teams, or Professional Club Youth Academies are preferred.
- Experience with Hudl online video platform and athlete data management systems is not required but will be positively considered.
- Must be able to successfully pass a USAV background screening (prior to hire date).
- Must successfully complete SafeSport certification within two weeks of hire date. Training must be maintained throughout employment.
Personal and Professional Attributes of the Successful Candidate:
- Learning centric, curious, creative, and diversely influenced.
- Ability to think critically, solve problems, and learn from mistakes.
- Driven to seek out and synthesize different ideas and perspectives that can contribute to innovative and impactful programs in support of our volleyball coaches.
- Prompt, professional, and detail oriented with a genuine commitment to deliver world-class work product.
- Exceptional work ethic and intrinsically motivated by the opportunity to continuously improve.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute competing assignments.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in completing a wide range of projects.
- Ability to collaborate within a team setting, across departments, and across stakeholder groups.
- Passion and energy to promote and engage people of diverse backgrounds and identities.
- Proficient with office-related software including word processing, database and spreadsheet.
Minimum Starting Salary:
$ 50,000 - Commensurate with experience.
- Paid Vacation
- Personal Time
- Up to 14.5 paid Holidays per year
- 403B Retirement Plan – 2 year vesting schedule
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Robust EAP and wellness program
- Employer paid Life insurance
- Benefits may be modified or discontinued from time to time at the Company's discretion as permitted by law.
Applications accepted online only. Phone calls not accepted. Applications must be received by no later than Monday, February 22, 2021.