GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
To provide support to the attorneys by conducting client intakes and inputting client information, communicating with social workers and case managers from various contractual hospitals and clinics, responding to client inquiries, drafting court pleadings and other documents such as wills, powers of attorney and powers of attorney for health care, preparing correspondence and requesting medical records. Coordinating attorney site visit times and outreach schedules.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Communicate either orally or in writing with management, members of the firm, partners in statewide network, clients and the public.
• Applies computer skills and data entry, using firm systems such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Pika.
• Calls and screens referrals to determine eligibility and potential conflicts of interest.
• Relays the legal advice given by an attorney to the client, following up with correspondence when appropriate.
• Drafts, proofs and/or edits legal documents and correspondence for attorney review.
• Maintains general office support and administration.
• Occasionally meets with clients to assist in completing paperwork or on-line applications.
• Communicates with statewide firm members to coordinate assistance with outreach programs required by grants.
• Assist HELP staff attorneys with calendar management and site visit coordination.
• Communicates with social workers/case managers about legal referrals when necessary.
• Complies with policies, procedures and Mission Statement
• Complies with all LSC Regulations and record keeping in the handling of the cases.
• Other duties as assigned.
Desired Abilities & Qualifications
• Spanish speaking.
Required Abilities &Qualifications.
• Must demonstrate the ability to work with people in extremely distressing situations.
• Must demonstrate the ability to communicate with social workers/ case managers in a professional manner.
• Must possess organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
• Must be detail oriented.
• One year or more experience with client/customer contact or service required.
• One year or more paralegal experience strongly preferred.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Some college or formal education in paralegal studies from an accredited institution is desirable but not required