The Product Manager is responsible for the product categories within a given Business Unit structure from executing the strategic direction to partnering with the development team to guide projects from initial concept through commercialization.
Additionally, the Product Manager will research, analyze, and formally report on industry, competitor, and customer trends to help develop an impactful product line strategy. Responsible for line plan maintenance, product brief creation, partnering an active member of design teams, and communicating key product information for workbook, catalog, web, and packaging needs with cross functional departments.
- Support the Business Unit Director in all aspects of Product Line Management for both new and in-line products. To work in conjunction with and consistent with the Business Unit Director’s vision, and strategic direction and help implement the tactics and product development that support those initiatives and strategies.
- Research, develop, build, and manage aspects of seasonal product line planning relative to both domestic and international financial targets; ensure product is prepared for commercialization and launch.
- Provide research, support, and voice of consumer in development of product briefs and in communication of details and objectives as necessary to design/development teams, sales, and marketing.
- Review and evaluate costing/margin/retail objectives at various stages of development to ensure clear alignment of product positioning as it relates to financial targets and margin expectations.
- Communicate product strategy and information as necessary to Sales, Marketing, Supply Chain, Design and Development teams; conduct on and off-site product and product line presentations to communicate the same to selected OEM, Key Retail domestic & international customers.
- Obtain and provide initial forecasts for products, assist in the creation of spare parts lists and forecasts for life of product & warranty period, coordinate product launch dates and phase out of declining product and efficient SKU management with Supply Chain, Sales and Marketing.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing/Sales, Engineering, or related field.
- Preferred: A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Product Management, Marketing or with Outdoor Business Focus.
- Required: 2 years post graduate experience in product line management in consumer goods field.
- Preferred: 3+ years’ experience in outdoor recreational product line management or experience as a buyer/merchandiser for outdoor equipment.
Skills and general experience:
- Knowledge of the company sports and products, outdoor culture and consumer, marketplace trends and competitors are preferred. Active participation in the relevant sports is preferred. Excellent communication skills (written & verbal) and working business operations knowledge (word processing, Excel, Power Point) is required. Knowledge of product design and development processes required. Demonstrated project management skills and ability to manage multiple competing cross functional initiatives and timelines.
- Autonomy: Works without supervision. Extensive latitude for independent judgement. May assist less experienced peers.
- Organizational Impact: Conducts highly complex and important work critical to the organization. Failure would result in significant impact to the organization.
- Skill/proficiency: Considered subject matter expert within discipline.
- Passport, Valid driver’s license, and clean driving record.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability, as well as other wellness benefits, 401k, vacation and wellness time off, and company paid holidays. If that isn't enough, we are also a pet-friendly workplace with a casual dress code! If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy employee discounts on BD gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.