Sargent and Greenleaf delivers proven security solutions that protect people and assets at home, at work, and in communities around the world. For the past 160+ years, our high-security locks and industry expertise have been trusted by governments, banks, and businesses of all kinds to meet their security needs and counter emerging threats. S&G’s portfolio of high-quality electronic and mechanical locks are used in a wide range of applications including gun safes, commercial safes, ATMs, vaults, and highly sensitive SCIF environments.
Our unique family of brands offers a comprehensive portfolio of lock and door solutions to serve a wide range of our customer’s security needs. Through our trusted brands – Delaney Hardware and Premier Steel Doors and Frames – we offer businesses and homeowners high-quality door hardware and fixtures, commercial-grade doors and hardware, multi-family and residential security solutions.
Together, we are on mission to make the world more secure today and in the future.
The Product Manager is responsible for evaluating, then setting the long-term vision and strategy for the company’s products by creating a comprehensive product roadmap and to communicate this strategy to all relevant participants and stakeholders. The position leads the efforts on commercialization of all new product developments while managing existing product portfolio needs. This position supports product management needs at S&G and Delaney Hardware.
• Execute and deliver to the operating plan: the achievement of growth objectives including market share, revenue, profit and return on investment for all the channels/categories of business and/or key customers
• Manage all new product development through a stage-gate process from concept, to design, sample production, testing, forecast, cost, mass production, promotion, support, and finally product end of life
• Manage, plan, design, develop, and implement sales and marketing plan for products by establishing effective selling strategies
• Work closely with Industry Market Managers to define growth strategies and foster development plans
• Develop business cases and market studies to drive executable action plans throughout the sales force
• Emphasis on latest electronic security innovations within the product portfolios
• Provide product feedback and customer comments to internal stakeholders
• Assists in the preparation of manuals and technical publications appropriate
• Manage product specialist team members
• Drive a culture of continuous improvement, accountability and results through strategic deployment and effective performance management.
New Product Development
• Define the product strategy and roadmap and coordinate with Manufacturing, Marketing, and Sales to successfully launch new products
• Organizational lead on product ideation strategies
• Deliver Market Requirements Documents (MRDs) that clearly defines the market and buyer/user profiles, as well as potential problems
• Deliver Product Development Documents (PRDs) that clearly provide the level of detail needed for the development team to understand the capabilities, functionality and features that are required to address the market needs identified in the MRD
• Provide territory analysis of competition and potential and communicate critical changes in the competitive landscape, served markets, and key related external business environments to Sales & Marketing management
• Develop core positioning and messaging for the product, as well as identifying sales tools and collateral required to perform product introductions and demos to customers and action plans to the sales force
• Focus on a model of continuous improvement throughout the new product development process
• Drive strategic growth by development of a deep understanding of the market, customer and Sales channel needs; executing on market segmentation, aligning product/sales activities toward identified market potential
• Propose comprehensive initiatives and programs that support the Sales and Operations strategies, while delivering to profitable sales growth
• Provide direct input and support to Sales on growth strategies and program execution of Key Accounts, including the identification and acquisition of new Key Accounts annually
• Provide credible input to the vision and lead the successful deployment of the product management strategy; leading top-down market segmentation, identifying and proposing an accelerated growth product portfolio, supported by a comprehensive new product development pipeline
• Engage external business and industry experts to learn and influence business strategies, constantly remaining alert and forward thinking about opportunities and risks in the market
• Communicate with the marketing team to clearly position and promote products and the organization(s) within the market
• Attend related strategic networking events and trade shows in order to grow market presence for the business
• Strategic thinker with proven ability to think globally and strategically about own business
• Strong business/financial acumen including a solid understanding of full P&L’s, customer margins, and profitability
• Proven credibility earned through delivering results
• Natural collaborator and networker who can effectively develop rapport internally and externally
• High level of personal motivation and initiative with capability to motivate, excite, and engage others
• Operate with an entrepreneurial spirit in launching new ideas through passion and the ability to lead change
• Effectively translates data into actionable insights, strategies, and financial plans
• Proven Project Management discipline and execution success
• Superior presentation skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Solid technology foundation and acumen
• Product and industry knowledge extremely desirable
• Must be computer literate and proficient in using Excel for financials and Power Point for formal presentations
Education / Experience:
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience, BA/BS degree preferred
• Experience in product development & marketing with Smart Technology and/or Internet of Things (IoT) preferred
Department: Customer Relations Department
FLSA: Exempt, Salary
Location: Nicholasville, KY
Reports to: Customer Relationship Director
Travel: up to 20%
Manages: No Direct Reports Currently
S&G Vision & Values:
S&G is a passionate team with a continuous improvement culture dedicated to delivering trusted and transformative locking solutions while consistently exceeding customer expectations.
Must be a champion of the S&G corporate values of accountability, integrity, respect, teamwork, community, innovation and leadership.
S&G is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit at a desk and work on a computer.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
• The employee must be able and willing to travel both domestic and international, up to 40% (possibility of including some weekends).