TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We are seeking a Community Organizer who currently resides in and is familiar with the northeast areas of San Fernando Valley. The Community Organizer is responsible for making lasting connections with and between community members, community-based organizations, public agencies, churches, schools, parent centers, businesses and other key stakeholders in support of TreePeople’s mission.
The ideal candidate will lead efforts to identify, train and grow a network of people who want to become Community Foresters in the northeast areas of the San Fernando Valley. The ideal candidate will help increase community connections with their neighbors and involvement in tree plantings and other initiatives in the community.
1. Community-oriented individual who is great at mobilizing and understands the needs of residents in the northeast areas of the San Fernando Valley.
2. Possess focus on equity, inclusion and cultural competency.
3. Strong leadership, team-building and problem-solving skills.
4. Experienced project management skills and organizing strategy.
5. Inspiring public speaking and interpersonal skills.
6. Highly-organized, friendly, smart, proactive and a quick-learner.
7. Excellent verbal and written communication skills: listening, negotiating, public speaking, and writing.
8. Literate and passionate about local climate resilience and environmental issues impacting communities of color.
9. Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
10. Available to work weekends and some evenings.
11. Valid Driver’s license and proof on insurance required.
12. Able, to push, pull, lift, and carry up to 40 pounds. Able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
13. Able to work outside for hours at a time at tree planting and care events, which includes physically digging holes, lifting equipment and planting trees, among other activities.