Position Type: 60 Hours over 12 Weeks (generally classes are held one night per week from 5-9, one hour of prep per week)
Travel Required: This position may require travel one to two nights a week during the course of the quarter. Some courses are temporarily being offered online during COVID.
Required Experience: Minimum 5 years' experience as a machinist in the manufacturing industry
Who We Are: AJAC is a statewide non-profit organization. We are an industry-driven apprenticeship organization, founded on the belief that mastery occurs on the job. Through pre-apprenticeship, youth apprenticeship and adult apprenticeship, all people have the opportunity to earn competitive wages, find meaningful and fulfilling work, and pursue lifelong learning. The organization annually serves 300+ manufacturing employers, 400 apprentices (including 100 high school juniors and seniors), and nearly 270 pre-apprentices. We have a small staff of entrepreneurial, smart and motivated team members – this work is fast and dynamic but also rewarding and highly collaborative.
About this Job: We are seeking an instructor to teach an Engineering Drawing course for our Machinist apprenticeship program.
Some key duties of this position include:
- Teach apprentices one or more of 12 sequenced courses leading to a journey level completion as a Machinist. Courses can be found on our website at www.ajactraining.org
- Model and teach productive and constructive work habits, study skills, and core skills; and model the communication, computation, and human relations skills required for employment in precision metal fabrication
- Use our online system to report apprentice attendance and progress on a weekly basis
- Adapt to a variety of teaching situations, including working effectively in both the classroom and the lab environment
- Establish guidelines and manage conduct of students as appropriate for the classroom and shop
- Work with the Program Director and make suggestions regarding the curriculum to ensure apprentices receive training in machining operations that address industry needs
- Participate in instructor training and curriculum development meetings
- Communicate effectively in oral and written English
- Perform other duties assigned
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a machinist in the manufacturing industry
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Excellent communication skills
Preferred Qualifications: Prior experience teaching or mentoring on the job, in a college, or in another vocational environment