The Manager - Engineering Resource Center will implement strategies, evaluate products, build upon current infrastructures and design future infrastructures that support the needs of our school partners. This position is one that works with complex systems, designing, developing, and integrating them at every stage of the life cycle ensuring availability, accessibility, optimization, security, and K12 budget alignment.
The manager’s responsibilities include the direct or indirect designing, managing and monitoring all installed systems and infrastructures and will install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software, and system management tools. This position will focus on the operational stability and maintenance of virtualized and physical infrastructures in customer, company, and hosted data center environments where applicable.
The Manager - Engineering Resource Center must be an excellent communicator and collaborator. The manager will articulate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders both internally and externally. This position participates in the sales process and acts as an SME when transitioning new clients.
Essential Functions of the Engineering Resource Center:
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance
- Develop reusable assets (templates, tools, etc)
- Implement and maintain backups, security, and redundancy strategies
- Analyze system and user data to enable faster and smarter business processes
- Communicate with stakeholders to determine objectives
- Optimize hosts and servers to ensure high availability and appropriate resource management
- Standardize and automate processes and monitoring using scripting technology
- Install and configure operating systems, software, and hardware components, and clearly document the design, maintenance, and support procedures for routine tasks to leverage IT support staff
- Routinely test software for bugs, redundancies, and security issues
- Conduct high-level root-cause analysis for service interruption and establish preventive measures
- Research, recommend, and implement new technologies to enable continuing innovation within infrastructure
- Create, review, and modify knowledgebase articles and IT environment documentation
- Provide excellent customer service
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Responsible for the performance and attainment of all goals identified for ERC team members.
- Ensuring ERC projects are not started until after project charters are signed, and all ERC projects finish on schedule.
- Provide status reports on ERC projects and progress on a bi-weekly basis to President, Director – Customer Experience, and Director – Finance & Administration. Status reports delivered monthly to Leadership.
- Ensure that all schools have a current IT Strategic Plan by December 31, 2021. Technology Optimization Plans (TOPs) updated annually.
- Provide quarterly updates and progress per timeline of the IT Strategic Plans/Technology Optimization Plans.
- Ensure that Vartek’s multi-tier cybersecurity program is well defined and implemented at all clients. Validation and progress updates required each quarter.
- Ensure that backups are documented, agreed upon by clients annually, and validated monthly.
Education/ Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, engineering, or computer information systems.
- 8+ years of experience designing, implementing, and supporting diverse networking and server environments
- 5+ years experience with scripting languages such as Python or Powershell
- 3+ years experience with hardware virtualization products such as VMware/vSphere or MS Hyper V
- 3+ years experience with environment monitoring and alerting tools such as SolarWinds or Splunk
- 2+ years experience with cloud computing (specifically Microsoft Azure or AWS)
- Knowledge of Git or other version control program
- 3+ years experience managing Windows environments using SCCM or Intune.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent team player willing to collaborate and share knowledge
- Managed Services experience or experience working in K-12
- Experience with ITIL processes and ticketing systems such as Sysaid or ServiceNow
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or similar program
MCSE, MCITP, VMWare, MBA, etc.
Up to 35%
Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Engineering Resource Center