The Eden Zoo at the Creation Museum is seeking a qualified candidate to join our animal care team as a Head Zookeeper. This is a key position that requires a motivated, dedicated team player. This position requires an enthusiastic individual with strong organizational, communication, decision-making, and task management skills while demonstrating the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff in a consistently changing environment. Successful candidates will be organized, detail-oriented, and able to work in a constantly changing atmosphere. The Head Zookeeper must demonstrate significant knowledge of husbandry practices, and be able to lead and mentor staff in the performances of these practices. Must demonstrate strong leadership skills which include being a role model and an example to others while working towards an improved future and shared vision within the zoo.
- Promote the Answers in Genesis mission and standards
- Create a SERVE culture environment with all the work done
- Supervises assigned staff in a fair and equitable manner while providing a high standard of care for the animals in the Eden Zoo.
- Maintains high standards of animal care through preparation and distribution of appropriate diets, animal observation, record maintenance, and cleaning of animal areas and some public areas
- Participates in guest engagement activities including talks and tours
- Actively supports and implements department policies, procedures, and protocols to ensure the highest standards of care of the collection and the safety of staff and visitors
- Participates in collaborative efforts pertaining to the care of the collection including training, enrichment, and education
- Oversees activities of interns and volunteers
- Maintains a positive attitude, while communicating and collaborating with team members
- Ability to use critical thinking skills to troubleshoot issues and reveal solutions to move the animal team forward
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and remain levelheaded in emergency situations
- Attend and participate in staff meetings to discuss the needs of the animal collection and animal staff, resolve challenges, and learn new procedures and policies
- Familiar with USDA regulations and comply with them
- Contribute and maintain a safe, positive, and productive workplace environment for animals, guests, and staff
- Participates in establishing and updating standard operating procedures
- Provides guidance to team members and demonstrates servant leadership and teamwork.
- Resolves conflicts among team members in a Christ-like manner in coordination with the Zoo Leadership.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.