The Circulation Clerk primarily works directly with Library patrons to meet their basic needs by furnishing a high level of customer service. The Circulation Clerk performs specialized tasks related to the circulation of library materials, answering patron inquires, handling money, scheduling meeting room assess, and other services. Duties may require independent judgment and act within specific parameters. The Library expects all employees to act in accordance with our Mission.
- Adaptability. We are outwardly focused, service-oriented, and staffed by continuous learners.
- Equality. We welcome all with the same measure of respect, warmth, and acceptance.
- Accountability. We are an interdependent team holding ourselves mutually accountable for delivering results that are relevant to our community's needs.
- Integrity. We embody these values in every aspect of our operation, building personal and institutional bridges which facilitate productive, trusting relationships.
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We vow our commitment to advancing the Library's embrace of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We recognize our obligation to enhance the diversity of our collections, programs, services, and staff. The Library aims to embody the tenets of social responsibility so that our actions bring about an improved quality of life for our patrons, our staff, and our community at large.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Working with the public in a friendly and courteous manner utilizing Library-approved customer service techniques.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of Library policies and following them in a consistent manner.
- Performing general desk duties including answering the telephone and directing calls, circulating library materials, processing holds, handling fine and fee payments, processing library card applications, scheduling and confirming meeting room reservations, recording statistical usage, and other similar responsibilities.
- Assisting patrons in the use of the public catalog system and locating Library materials.
- Assisting patrons with basic readers advisory and reference service.
- Assisting patrons with basic computer needs.
- Handling and processing books and other materials by unpacking boxes, emptying book drops, loading and unloading book trucks, performing basic repairs, putting on covers, sampling material, and applying labels.
- Working with computers and interacting with Library-related software.
- Filing and keeping records in order.
- Maintaining collection usability by shelving/reorganizing materials according to Library policy.
- Assisting with Library events.
- Working job duties as scheduled and any other jobs assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Type of certification: "Paraprofessional" if classified as a "full-time" employee.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Basic computer experience with standard office software, including Microsoft Office products, email, and internet usage.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to work with staff in a team environment.
- Filing skills, both alphabetical and numerical.
- Math skills, including the ability to make change without a calculator.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written directions.
- Standing, sitting, stooping, and walking.
- Handling books and other Library materials.
- Using computer input devices, including working extensive hours at the computer screen.
- Visual acuity for near reading.
- Mobility to help patrons and reach materials.
- Employees may need to carry, push, pull, or lift up to 30 pounds.
- Pushing and pulling book trucks up to 50-100 lbs.
- Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist, or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day.
- Climate controlled environment
- Exposure to dust
- Computers and peripherals
- General office equipment
- Book carts
This job description does not necessarily reflect all aspects of the job functions.
Bullitt County Public Library is an AA, EEO, and ADA employer.