Job Status: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Position Location: Inwood Athletic Club
Reports To: Swim Lesson Lead Instructors, Pool Managers, Aquatics Coordinator
Prepared Date: 3/12/2021
Under the direction of the Swim Lesson Lead Instructors, Pool Managers, and Aquatics Coordinator, Swim Lesson Instructors teach group swimming lessons to all ages and ability levels. This position is responsible for creating a fun and safe learning environment to ensure a positive participant experience while following the program curriculum.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities *The list below is not intended to be all-inclusive
• Assist in the evaluation of swim lesson participants for appropriate level placement
• Effectively run swimming lessons by providing instruction on water safety topics and skills outlined in the swim lesson curriculum, including clearly and accurately explaining each skill and drill, demonstrating swim strokes and water safety skills, and providing correct feedback
• Supervise swim lesson participants in assigned class
• Effectively utilize classroom management strategies to maximize swimmer progress
• Communicate with participants and their parent/guardian regarding the participant’s progress
• Complete all swim lesson class cards at the end of each day of class
• Be familiar with the swim lesson program and the progression of skills and levels
• Address swimmer or parent/guardian questions and concerns
• Be in the water, focused, fully engaged, and actively participating during each class
• Prepare for lessons each day by clocking in and out on time, preparing equipment and class cards, and reviewing lesson plans at the start of each lesson
• Attend and participate in in-service training on emergency operating procedures, customer service, Park District policies, and swim lesson programming as needed or as assigned by the Swim Lesson Lead Instructors, Pool Managers, or Aquatics Coordinator
• Assume prescribed responsibilities in times of emergency as directed by the Pool Managers, Head Guards, Lifeguards, and Swim Lesson Lead Instructors
• Contribute to a positive working environment conducive to positive morale, teamwork, and effective work practices
• Reports to the Swim Lesson Lead Instructors, Pool Managers, or Aquatics Coordinator any repairs, maintenance, or supplies needed at the aquatics facilities
• Performs other duties as assigned
Applicants should be comfortable in the water, able to demonstrate swimming basics, and communicate clearly. Previous competitive swimming, teaching, or lifeguarding experience is preferred.
Must be able to pass background check upon employment.
Solid black swimsuit (provided)
Employee ID Badge (provided)
Swim Lesson Instructors with long hair must have their hair pulled back while teaching.
The Joliet Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.