DISCOVER YOUR PASSION!
The Ann Arbor YMCA is hiring lifeguards. At our 163 year old YMCA Association, we believe that our mission is achieved one person at a time, and is carried out in the hearts and hands of each caring and skillful staff member. We serve our community through a professional and passionate team that models our core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. The Ann Arbor Y is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and seeks an enthusiastic and collaborative staff to work in our Aquatics Department.
The lifeguard is responsible for the safety of all patrons in and around the pool area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Include:
- Serve as a role model to members and Y staff and live the mission, vision and values of the YMCA movement.
- Adhere to and enforce aquatic rules and procedures consistently and fairly.
- Maintain constant surveillance of water and pool deck areas, using the 10-10 rule.
- Wear rescue fanny pack and rescue tube at all times while on duty.
- Maintain cleanliness of pool area when not performing primary duties.
- Accurately record and submit incident reports as required.
- Maintain certifications.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Must work at least two weekend shifts each session.
- Promote the value of diversity and the importance of being an inclusive organization to others inside and outside of the organization.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you. Together we strive to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, income, faith, sexual orientation or cultural background has the opportunity to live life to its fullest.
The Ann Arbor YMCA will abide by, to the best of our ability, guidelines and restrictions provided by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) so members and staff are as safe as possible while they are at any YMCA facility or in an YMCA program. The reopening process will be a phased approach that will grow gradually as the environment continues to become safer. Join us and help transform lives.
Full job description available upon request.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Prior lifeguarding experience preferred.
- Current Lifeguarding, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, O2 and First Aid certifications is required.
- Proficiency in swimming and safety skills is required.
- Must possess a cooperative spirit committed to character development by promoting and demonstrating caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility to staff, lay leaders, YMCA members, program participants and the general public.
- Ability to relate with pool patrons in a positive manner.
- Must be professional, alert, courteous, and tactful.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all staff and swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively. Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200 lb. person.
- Physically able to see, hear, and communicate clearly.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.