Research law, investigate facts, and prepare documents to assist the General Counsel in attending to his responsibilities as legal counsel to the board of directors and the corporation, and as director of planned giving and supporter services, by performing the following duties. This position should display our Core Values of SERVE when interfacing with both internal and external customers to ensure that the message and mission of Answers in Genesis is portrayed in an effective and God-honoring fashion.
- Promote the mission and standards of Answers in Genesis.
- Create a SERVE culture environment in all work done.
- Researches and analyzes law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions, legal codes, and ordinances.
- Prepares legal documents such as memoranda of law, briefs, pleadings, appeals, contracts, initial and amended articles of incorporation, bylaws, corporate minutes and resolutions, real estate contracts, deeds, closing papers and binders, wills and trust instruments for review, approval, and use by General Counsel.
- Investigates facts and law of potential cases to determine causes of action and prepares pleadings or defense of cases accordingly.
- Assists with research of and compliance with state registration or notification laws relating to activities of charitable organizations.
- Assists with intellectual property research and copyright and trademark registrations.
- Assists with donor development in the area of planned giving services, including preparation and distribution of planned giving brochures, e-newsletters, literature, and other resources; handles telephone communications and correspondence with donors; responds to planned giving inquiries from donors who request assistance or express an interest in supporting Answers in Genesis through estate planning and gift planning strategies; plans seminars or scheduled meetings with donors interested in making planned gifts; writes planned giving articles for publication on website and in newsletter.
- Assists in providing information and illustrations to donors regarding charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, will bequests, and other gift planning strategies; provides information on Christian stewardship, and assists with administration of charitable trusts and annuities and of funds designated for endowment purposes.
- Assists with annual applications to participate in the Combined Capital Campaign, corporate matching gift programs, memorial gifts, and the Genesis Legacy program.
- Performs other clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, providing information to callers, taking dictation, composing, and typing documents and routine correspondence, reading, and routing incoming mail, and maintaining document files.
- Acts as law librarian, keeping and monitoring legal volumes and ensuring legal volumes are up to date.
- File correspondence and legal documents in office filing system; ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- And all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.