The Youth Development Specialist is responsible for: ensuring youth development principles are incorporated into programs and activities; providing guidance and discipline to ensure a safe and positive environment for youth; ensuring the incorporation of character development, age appropriate and gender-specific programs and activities; ensuring that cultural diversity educational programs are implemented; assisting, as needed, in the planning, implementation, and delivery of educational activities and programs for youth ages 6 to 18.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success
- Ensure programs, services and activities prepare youth for success, promoting safety of members, quality in programs and appearance of Club at all times. Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of the strategic plan by:
- Planning and organizing a range of program services and activities for members, such as field trips, program specific activities, guest speakers, field trips, etc.
- Welcoming new members and participate in their orientation process.
- Initiating new programs with the approval of the Program Director/Unit Director.
- Promoting and stimulating program participation.
- Ensure quality improvement by monitoring and evaluating program achievement against target goals, recommending modifications that respond to member needs and interests and participating in weekly Club staff meetings.
- Create bulletin boards and posters publicizing and announcing program events. Establish a system of recognition about members and their program activities.
- Participate in local, state, regional, and national Boys & Girls Clubs programs and competitions.
Health and Safety
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment, supervising members in program area.
- Maintain the cleanliness of program area.
- Maintain an inventory of program equipment and supplies in good order. Recommend requisitions as necessary.
- Prepare weekly reports for the Program Director/Unit Director regarding activities, special programs, upcoming events, attendance, and other reports as required.
- Maintains a daily written schedule. Ensures that programs begin and end on time.
- May participate in additional special programs and/or events.
- Evenings/weekend work may be involved.
- May be required to drive Club van.
- Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with branch staff and volunteers, branch members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines/instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.