The Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) will provide basic supportive dental procedures under the supervision of a licensed dentist and will assist dentist. The RDA will prepare materials and equipment for treatment and have patient ready for dentist.
Summary of Essential Duties: (*Essential Functions)
- Prepare treatment room for patient
- Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist’s access; suctioning; passing instruments
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient's mouth.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies; pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Ensure operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirement; call for repairs, when necessary
- Fabricates temporary restorations or custom impressions from preliminary impressions.
- Makes preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
Job Specifications: (Knowledge, skills, abilities and experience normally required for competent performance)
Education and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Graduate from a California Board-approved RDA educational program
- Require knowledge of dental/office equipment, and dental/medical terminology
- Successfully complete California Board-approved courses in radiation safety and coronal polishing, AND
- Successfully complete California Board-approved courses in the California Dental Practice Act and infection control within five years prior to application for licensure
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety, infection control & emergency policies and procedures
- A minimal of 15 months as a DA
Skills and Abilities
- Effectively, in English, both verbally and written.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and project management skills
- Bilingual Bi-literate English/Spanish preferred
Licensure and Certificates:
- Licensure as an RDA to the Dental Board of California or Licensure as CDA
- BLS Certification