Health Imperatives is a non-profit community-based agency predominantly serving families and individuals in Southeastern MA. Our mission is to improve the health and the well-being of low-income or vulnerable families and individuals in Southeastern Massachusetts. We accomplish this by administering both health and violence intervention and prevention programs and services.
TITLE: SRH Medical Assistant and Harm Reduction Specialist
LOCATION: Martha's Vineyard
HOURS: Full-time Monday - Friday, including some evenings
SALARY: $25 per hour plus benefits
The Sexual and Reproductive Health Medical Assistant and Harm Reduction Specialist will work within a team to support the provision of clinical and overdose prevention services by:
- Providing non-judgmental, non-biased sexual reproductive health education and counseling according to established standards, protocols, and guidelines.
- Providing client opioid overdose education and NARCAN training using a harm reduction approach.
- Providing syringe access and disposal, risk reduction counseling, and community syringe retrieval.
- Obtaining and recording clients’ medical, sexual, and social history.
- Supporting medical providers in their provision of clinical services as needed.
- Providing short-term health navigation and client linkages to services such as crisis intervention.
- Facilitating reproductive health risk assessment and harm reduction plans with clients.
- Scheduling medical follow-up and assisting with patient referrals to health care, behavioral health care, recovery resources, social services.
- Providing HIV prevention medication, drug assistance, adherence, and support.
- Perform phlebotomy, routine lab testing, and preparing specimens for transport.
- Preparing and maintaining exam rooms and rooming patients
- Accurately data entry into the electronic health record system
- Collecting ASGCC’s Prevention and Screening Program data and internal reporting.
- Provide outreach activities and offsite services to promote sexual and reproductive health, HI programs, and ASGCC OEND and SSP programs that emphasize program/service integration.
- Completing and submitting accurate and timely forms for all prevention and screening services
- Attending training.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma; computer literacy essential. Must demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills in English and be sensitive to the needs of a culturally diverse population; prior experience working with low income and vulnerable populations; demonstrated ability to communicate unbiased health knowledge to clients (adolescents and adults of all genders) in an effective and culturally competent, non-judgmental manner.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Prior experience as a Medical Assistant in a busy office; bilingual Portuguese speaking; experience with or knowledge of the populations served who are disproportionately impacted by HIV and/or substance use.