Full-Time - 10 month Instructional Contract
Reports To: Director, Workforce Development)
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
EEO-1 Classification: Professional
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country. High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being. YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation. YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development , and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia offers several skilled labor workforce development training options for students. The Healthcare Coordinator/Instructor is expected to provide high-level healthcare expertise to students that are interested in entering the healthcare field. Under the leadership of the Healthcare Coordinator, students will have Home Health Aide training including clinical training in a laboratory setting preparing students to pass the Home Health Aide Certification.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide high quality and engaging Home Health Aide instruction to all types of learners.
- Teach the physical and emotional needs of a client.
- Teach mental health, first aid, recognition, and handling of emergency situations.
- Teach fundamental skills and technical skills to increase students’ likelihood of passing and receiving Home Health Aide credentials.
- Promotes a positive, professional, and desirable atmosphere within the classroom setting to ensure maximum student motivation.
- Mentor and motivate students regarding behavior, training, problem-solving, and/or study habits.
- Incorporate lessons learned from professional development and coaching around literacy strategies into unit plans.
- Consistently reinforce employability skills, professional communication skills, including personal responsibility and computer fluency skills.
- Support students with reflecting on community service as a significant component of the workforce development experience, thereby strengthening students’ critical consciousness.
- Meet weekly with students to assess and address their skill development in professional skills and report on this to the Director, Workforce Development.
- Collaborate with the Career Partnerships & Postsecondary Initiatives Department to help inform the need for specific internship opportunities for current students and pipeline for employment and continued education/training upon graduation.
- Ensure that classrooms are designed in a way that models restorative practices including elements like circling up at the start and end of each day.
- Develop and maintain attendance tracking and accountability systems which will include leadership development of student managers.
- Participate in the school’s mentoring program, student, and staff Mental Toughness.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and respect for various social identities.
- Oversee monitoring of students’ time and grades on the construction site.
- Adhere to all student behavior plans and IEP plans.
- Collaborate with Specialized Services, Student Life, and Student Success Management to ensure that students are receiving high levels of support from YouthBuild staff during their workforce rotation.
- Provide oversight for students in internship/job shadowing experiences, coaching, and making sure students are demonstrating proper protocols and professionalism.
- Interface with partners and solicit feedback to improve programming.
- Coordinate program recruitment and marketing materials to help promote the program.
- Organize the screening and selection process for prospective students each year to participate in the healthcare program by securing appropriate criminal background clearances and ensuring that applicants receive physical examinations.
- Complete reports, including monthly reports, accident and incident reports, student attendance and grades, progress reports/evaluations, and requisitions.
- Maintain responsibility for material needs of training and equipment.
- Pre-plan for projects including providing, in a timely manner, expenses, and plans for student involvement (including travel if necessary)
- Collaborate and create service responsibilities for an AmeriCorps member assigned to support the healthcare program
- For teaching and demonstration purposes only, all candidates should be able to:
- Stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Reaching, stretching and extending arms in the course of duties
- Engage in repetitive movements
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of professional healthcare-related experience required
- Experience managing people and or youth development.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt and flex in a quick-paced environment
- Priority consideration will be extended to candidates that can demonstrate experience in teaching and/or workforce development sectors with young adults.
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Demonstrated conflict resolution experience.
- Prior student leadership and mentoring experience
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- Leadership, Management and Supervision Experience, Passion, and Ability
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- Act 168 - Sexual Misconduct Disclosure
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry,
national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition,
veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
An Equal Opportunity Employer