Under the supervision of the Aquatics Supervisor, Aquatics Coordinator. Responsible to perform lifeguarding duties and related work as required.
- Prevent accidents through the enforcement of policies, rules, regulations and ordinances governing the conduct of patrons in the pool area.
- Maintains order, anticipate hazardous situations and take steps to prevent them.
- Perform rescues and administer first aid/CPR as necessary.
- Use proper rescue equipment and techniques.
- Assist in the overall operations of the pool, including opening and closing.
- Maintain a clean and debris free pool, pool area and locker room facilities.
- Maintain lifeguard dress code and follows appropriate conduct of a Lifeguard.
- Maintain positive, professional and polite public relations.
- Attend staff meetings and training.
- Maintain chemistry records and logs and conducts necessary maintenance for proper pool operations.
- Help provide an atmosphere for developing good morale and well-being among the Rec. center community.
This position performs most duties and is located in an outdoor, aquatic environment in a typically work around wet and/or slippery surface. There may be exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, heat, cold, sun, and inclement weather conditions. They will be required to perform heavy manual lifting as needed to maintain pool. Must also be able to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time and remain focused.
- It may be necessary to perform other duties as assigned.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. It is understood that the employee will perform other duties if requested by the Aquatics Supervisor. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically and may be revised if deemed necessary. This job description is not a written or implied contract.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard training, general lifeguard techniques.
- Able to perform a rescue, give CPR and First Aid as appropriate.
- Knowledge of Pool rules and practices and necessary enforcement
- Ability to perform rescues including those that require first aid and CPR.
- Must remain calm and efficient in stressful situations and emergencies.
- Ability to work with patrons with special needs.
- Equivalent to the completion of ninth grade; additional schooling is desirable.
- Required Certificates:
Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training.
Current American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.