Job Title: Hospital Support Associate
Reports to: Hospital Manager
Objective: The hospital support associate position is a janitorial and animal care position. This position is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the hospital and supporting the veterinary staff with basic medical treatments and cat care.
Position Type and Hours: Non-exempt, hourly, part-time, temporary.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Hospital Operations Assistance (30% of time)
· Provide basic medical care to cats by administering vaccines, medications, and treatments as needed.
· Update cat medical records when appropriate by inputting medications, exam findings, and preventative care treatments into Shelter Buddy.
· Move and restrain cats safely by using the techniques and protocols outlined in hospital manuals.
· Remain informed regarding changes to policy and protocol by regularly attending shelter meetings and weekly check-in meetings.
Cleaning and Sanitation (30% of time)
· Clean cat housing by scrubbing, wiping down, and sanitizing all surfaces according to shelter sanitation protocols.
· Set up clean kennels by placing bedding, dishes, and enrichment items inside of them according to established housing guidelines.
· Ensure personal and cat safety by following all protocols related to the safe handling, mixing, and dilution of cleaning chemicals; wearing the proper personal protective equipment for the job or housing area; properly disposing of contaminated items; following the prescribed cleaning order to minimize disease transmission.
· Maintain a clean stock of cat supplies and laundry by cleaning, sanitizing, and drying reusable items according to shelter sanitation protocols; returning clean items to designated storage areas; notifying the appropriate staff members when disposable items run low.
· Maintain facility cleanliness by cleaning, sanitizing, sweeping, mopping, and/or tidying hospital areas according to shelter sanitation protocols.
Cat Care (30% of time)
· Feed hospital cats by providing them the proper type and amount of food based on their dietary needs.
· Monitor hospital cats’ health and well-being by recording their food consumption, diet, urination, bowel movements, behavior; reporting medical and behavioral issues according to protocol.
· Minimize disease transmission by feeding animals according to their level of contamination and/or susceptibility to disease.
Supply Replenishment (10% of time)
· Maintain clean and fully stocked food storage/preparation areas by replenishing food, litter, cleaning chemicals, and other supplies when low; ensuring a diverse selection of special diet food; organizing, wiping down, and sanitizing carts and food preparation areas as needed.
· Maintain fully stocked hospital supply areas by retrieving, unpacking, and putting away supply shipments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· Basic cat care
· Computer programs, including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Shelter Buddy
· Prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
· Remain organized
· Complete tasks with little direction or supervision
· Handle animals safely
· Follow protocols and procedures
· Provide compassionate
· Operate standard office equipment, including computers and telephone systems
· Work cooperatively within a team environment
Qualifications and Experience:
· High school diploma or equivalent
· 1 year applicable professional experience
· Previous experience working within a volunteer organization or animal shelter
Mental Effort: This position consists of duties that are mostly comprised of routine and repeated tasks based on established protocol. The job holder may need to prioritize or delegate tasks to complete the position’s essential functions.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Move and/or transport items up to 50 pounds (assisted or unassisted)
· Position oneself at various levels to successfully carry out the essential functions of the job
· Provide direct animal care including feeding, watering, cleaning litter boxes, and other animal handling
· Provide direct medical care to animals including administering vaccinations, medications, subcutaneous fluids and performing other treatments as needed
· Clean animal housing and facility
· Disinfect and sanitize using agents such as bleach and Rescue®
· Communicate effectively with other staff and volunteers by email, phone, or in-person
· Navigate the shelter and building
· Read and keep accurate records/files
· Work on a computer and use various software programs
· Operate office equipment such as a copy and fax machine, printer, scanner, and multi-line telephone
Work in this position is performed at an animal shelter hospital. The work environment will have hazards or obstacles, and there is a higher risk of personal injury while performing assigned tasks if safety protocols are not followed. Job conditions are uncomfortable relative to noise, temperature, smell, cleanliness, or exposure to contagious disease. The worker may encounter the following:
· Distressed animals that put the worker at risk for injuries such as bites and scratches
· Animal urine, animal feces, animal vomit, animal blood, animal fur
· Medications used to treat animals
· Needles used to vaccinate or provide other treatments to animals
· Zoonotic disease that can be transmitted from cats to humans
· Disinfecting agents such as bleach and Rescue®
· Animal handling equipment such as nets, leather gloves, etc.
Pay Range: Position starts at $14-15 hour
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.