The purpose of the Sous Chef is to oversee the performance and output of the kitchen team to deliver high quality food in a timely manner per the Executive Chef’s vision.
This position is second-in-command below the Exec Chef and is the head of operations; running the food preps, cooking and plating of dishes while maintaining quality.
Duties will include:
· Assists the Executive Chef in day-to-day operations of the kitchen by running all kitchen staff efficiently.
· Help Executive Chef in plate design, food development and event food presentation.
· Produces high quality dishes that follow the established menu and recipes.
· Creates prep lists for each event. Brief and organize hourly staff during event food preps.
· Train and oversee all hourly staff in proper food preparation and plating.
· Maintains order and discipline in the kitchen.
· Runs all aspects of food preparation prior to and during event. Maintaining exact timelines on food preparation, plating and clean-up.
· Produces all dishes for menu tastings (includes hors d’oeuvre, salads, 3 sample dishes and desserts).
· Enforces the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation, starting with the ingredients and ending with the finished dish which leaves the kitchen door.
· Executes all sanitation programs and maintenance of all culinary operations.
· Conducts monthly inventory for all food, china, and flatware.
· Ensures all staff are up-to-date on their ServSafe certifications.
· Promotes safety awareness in the kitchen.
· Make sure that the kitchen equipment is in good condition and report to Exec Chef any malfunction before it affects the team or execution of event.
· Ensures proper use, storage and maintenance of all equipment and supplies.
· Monitors and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned work areas.
· Performs basic cleaning tasks as needed.
· Interacts positively and exudes professional behavior and communications with employees, clients, vendors and the SEG staff to foster and support kindness in the workplace.
· Performs all critical tasks in a manner that complies with SEG code of ethics and collaborates with all Directors and Managers on increasing awareness of SEG standards of professionalism.
· Participates in and supports the application of all SEG policy, protocols and procedures.
Is Supervisor to all Prep cooks and Utility staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
· High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
· Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in catering/banquet kitchens.
· Thrives in a fast-paced environment and able to multi-task.
· Must be ServSafe
· Needs good organizational skills
Must speak English. Excellent ability to communicate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk around on concrete majority up to 15 hours a day. Must be able to stand for periods up to 5 hours at a time. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Kitchen can get very hot, humid and noisy from the machines being used. Loud talking and noise from celebration.
This is a full time salary position with a minimum of 45 hours per week in the office. During event season (April thru October) may work up to 60 hours a week. Must be able to work nights and weekends and holidays.
Note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties and responsibilities and activities may change from time to time with or without notice. It is expected that this position work to achieve the goals of the organization, whether specific duties are mentioned or not.