JOB TITLE: Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Houston Endowment (“the Foundation”) seeks an experienced communications professional with strong writing and storytelling skills to join our team as Communications Manager. This position will manage communications initiatives and campaigns for internal and external audiences. The candidate who fulfills this newly created role will support the Communications Director, who is responsible for setting and executing the Foundation’s communications strategy.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager include the following:
- Develop and manage communications initiatives and campaigns that advance the Foundation’s goals and objectives.
- Develop content and direct creative execution to provide consistent, targeted, and impactful messages.
- Direct external graphic designers, photographers, and other media-production specialists integral to the completion of communications campaigns.
- Identify opportunities, challenges and emerging issues and work with Communications Director to develop communications approaches and guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with program and learning & evaluation colleagues to effectively communicate the Foundation’s impact to key audiences.
- Supervise projects to guarantee all content is brand compliant and publication-ready.
- Manage the Foundation’s social media presence and website. Supervise vendor(s) for design, content development, or programming as needed.
- Work collaboratively with grant partners and other stakeholders on press releases, press conferences and other media activity.
- Provide support for major events, convenings and announcements.
- Monitor media for news related to the Foundation’s work in the community.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study from a four-year college or university.
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience.
- Strong knowledge of communications practices and techniques.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading skills, including the ability to make complex issues understandable and relevant to internal and external audiences.
- Proactive approach in resolving problems and issues.
- Good organizational, planning, and coordination skills.
- Experience overseeing social media accounts. Familiarity with digital analytics tools and WordPress preferred.
We believe it is both an honor and a great responsibility to work for Houston Endowment, so we are committed to our values and seek colleagues who share our commitment:
High Performing: We bring our best every day so we:
- Hold high standards and drive for excellence
- Challenge ourselves and show determination in pursuit of our collective goals
- Pursue continuous improvement, even when we have achieved our intended outcomes
- Stay curious to do our best work
Courageous: We know bold action matters so we:
- Hold an audacious vision for what we can accomplish together
- Work proactively, take risks, and make difficult choices when necessary
- Choose optimism, show resilience, and stay engaged in challenging situations
Committed: We care deeply about the organization so we:
- Prioritize and commit to the mission of the organization
- Seek and act on feedback on our work, and devote energy to our own development to be at the top of our field
- Gather diverse perspectives and expertise in service of better results
Connected: We care deeply about each other so we:
- Build relationships with one another to create a highly effective team
- Start with trust, assume others have good intentions, and practice generosity of spirit
- Address issues directly to resolve conflict or misunderstanding
- Embrace inclusion and adapt as appropriate when partnering with others
Salary will be set in accordance with the successful candidate’s experience. In addition to salary, the candidate will be eligible for the Foundation’s comprehensive employee benefits programs, including health, dental, and vision plans, time off, life insurance, short- and long-term disability as well as matching 401(k) and pension retirement plans.