We are looking for a Seasonal Research Distiller.
The Research Distiller is responsible for working with the distillery, laboratory and barrel crew to develop, implement and sustain improvement projects. The Research Distiller will solicit input from the team and identify improvement projects to be selected by the Brandy Maker or Operations Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Follows and implements company values, manages supportive culture, encourages strong work ethic and nurtures an environment of trust and respect
- Has a firm understanding of LEAN principles and leverages them to improve processes in the distillery, laboratory and barrel warehouse.
- Has a firm understanding of the scientific method and applies the model to test new products and processes
- When necessary, coordinate with maintenance team to address mechanical failures that need to be repaired
- Proactively address daily processing issues as they arise and communicate any concerns or issues to the appropriate audience
- Promote and follow BRC regulation
- Coach team on LEAN principles and practice
- Work with appropriate cross functional teams to ensure all programs are being met and develop corrective actions to issues that arise (Safety, BRC, Quality and Compliance)
- Lead or participate in SOP annual review and the creation of new SOPs for new equipment centers or practices
- Develop new products under the direction of Brandy Maker
- Bachelor of Science Degree in applicable field
- 2-3 years experience in the wine industry
- Ability to work any shift 7 days a week
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Ability to move and/or lift up to 60 pounds
- Regularly required to roll, move, and/or lift 60 gallon wine barrels when needed
- Must be able to stand, stoop, lean, lift and squat
- Must be able to work long hours during peak periods
- Ability to climb stairs
- Work is performed in cellar where temperatures are cool and noise level is usually moderate.
- Work is performed outdoors where noise levels are usually moderate but may be moderate to high at times.
- A percentage of work time will be performed in a normal office environment