Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Senior Accountant will support agency wide accounting services and other related financial functions. This position prepares liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analyzing account information. Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, and reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee agency’s revenue invoicing and accounts receivable tracking according to CIS Fiscal policies and procedures
- Ensure accounting principles comply with GAAP requirements
- Prepare journal entries or uploads of weekly cash receipts
- Code funding source, project code and donor designated restrictions for all revenues. Analyze and release restrictions on at least a quarterly basis
- Submit sales tax reporting twice a year
- Work with the advancement team to format data to upload into Financial Edge
- Prepare monthly reconciliation report of Financial Edge (FE) and fundraising system data
- Prepare year end reconciliations, documents and reports for annual financial audit as requested by auditors. Assist with financial donor audits
- Prepare monthly financial reports along with graphs to capture trends and budget variances
- Prepare monthly bank and investment accounts reconciliations and at least quarterly balance sheet reconciliations
- Prepare monthly financial statements, reports and records by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information
- Develop recommendations to optimize company’s accounting systems and procedures and detect inaccuracies
- Review and analyze financial data and create reports on financial status
- Research and reconcile all discrepancies and audit and verify documents
- Support business processes and accounting policies and prepare/maintain corresponding documentation
- Participate in Board of Director finance committee meetings
- Articulate the mission, vision and philosophy of CIS
- Help plan and support additional projects as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business or related financial discipline; Master’s degree in Accounting or Business is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 3+ years of accounting experience required
- Demonstration of critical thinking and analytical skills are essential
- Excellent knowledge of trend analysis and data analytics and reporting.
- Excellent process improvement skills
- Demonstrated experience utilizing pivot tables and V Lookups
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Financial Edge software is a plus
- Considerable knowledge of accounting process and principles with emphasis on non-profit and grant/fund accounting and automated tools
- Ability to work independently to make sound judgments
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, advanced knowledge of Excel and experience with Google Suite, Zoom and other virtual meeting platforms
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships while fostering a spirit of collaboration with colleagues
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Detail oriented, multi-task capable, well organized and able to manage high levels of work
- Demonstrate the ability to be a financial subject matter expert to the organization in support of the organization’s mission
- Demonstrate the ability to balance accountability with emotional intelligence when interacting with staff at all levels; must demonstrate sensitivity with staff representing all areas of diversity
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle, feel and keyboard; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop, kneel, or bend. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision.
The position is located within the Charlotte Mecklenburg area. Regular and satisfactory attendance and punctuality are required. Regular and satisfactory performance including meeting all process deadlines and stated deliverables is required.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Criminal background check, pre-employment drug test and financial credit check required. Driving record check required, if applicable.