Title: Recovery Support Specialist (RSS)/Driver I Created Date: 7/24/2014
Salary Range: $16.16-$21.34 Plus Benefits Revision Date: 12/15/2020
Credentials: BHPP FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Assistant Site Manager Hours per Week Expected: 20 to 40 hours
Supervises: None Full/Part-time: Full/Part-time
Purpose of Position:
Recovery Support Specialists/Drivers I transport members locally using company vans. As Behavioral Health Paraprofessionals (BHPP’s), RSS/Driver I staff are entry level peer support workers who provide screening, assessment, life skills training, communication and time management skills training, basic coping skills training, electronic health record documentation, case management, care coordination, crisis intervention, basic individual and/or group recovery services to members living with general and/or severe mental illness in a day treatment setting. BHPP’s are responsible for contributing to and creating a recovery-focused environment while supervising and monitoring members while in the treatment milieu. BHPP’s provide meaningful input in daily staffing for the purpose of ensuring quality member care. BHPP’s use the established individualized service plan (ISP) to facilitate individual and group services with members based on the S.T.A.R. Core Competencies Checklist which was derived from SAMHSA’s core competencies model for peer support workers. BHPP’s make appropriate referrals to internal programs and/or other community based organizations as needed. BHPP’s assist in training interns and volunteers. BHPP’s utilize effective verbal and behavioral de-escalation techniques in working with members. BHPP’s transport members as assigned and based on their specific role in the agency.
· Drive a 10 passenger van to transport members from/to home, clinic, centers, field trips, etc.
· Welcome members and visitors to the center and assist as needed. Ensures all members sign-in and sign-out.
· Facilitates and documents groups to teach skill building for independent living skills, socialization, health and
· wellness, understanding and reducing impact of mental illness, making friends, advocacy, etc.
· Completes group sheets, data entry and paperwork as needed.
· Ensures that the center is clean and confirms all chores are properly done by members, teaching skills as needed, and writing out S.T.A.R. dollars upon proper completion.
· All supply doors must be locked or observed at all times.
· Ensures center rules are being followed by all members and guests to provide a healthy learning environment.
· Assists with intakes, outreach, and coordination with clinical team, family, and primary care physician as needed.
· Resolves member concerns. Implements crisis intervention as needed. Follow through with disruption policy as needed.
· BHPP’s use the established individualized service plan (ISP) to facilitate individual and group services with members based on the S.T.A.R. Core Competencies Checklist.
· BHPP’s assist in training interns and volunteers.
· Facilitates social and recovery groups; one-on-one’s; and required documentation.
· Attends staff meetings and training classes.
· Participates in the program and makes it a fun atmosphere for everyone.
· Appraise management of any conflicts/suggestions relating to S.T.A.R. policy/programs.
· Other duties as assigned:
· Sit in on staffing’s
· Food Share/Hygiene shopping
· Do the daily group board and daily GDP
· Weekly schedules
· Assist with monthly outing schedules
· Schedule group
· Plan field trips and arrange for funding
· Pick-up and serve lunch
· Clean kitchen after lunch
· Train staff and new hires
· Clean bathrooms and around center when needed
· Open in the AM and set up breakfast
· Sit in and cover receptionist area
· Ensure that members complete chores
· Facilitate art groups and order and store supplies
· Responsible for maintaining credit card and receipts
· Fuel vans
· Pick up donations
· Ensure that center is clean and properly closed down at the end of day
Company Driver? x Yes q No
Safety Sensitive? x Yes q No
Transports Clients? x Yes q No
Regularly Frequently Occasionally Rarely
Sitting x q q q
Standing x q q q
Walking q x q q
Climbing/Balancing q x q q
Reaching – with Arms & Hands x q q q
Stooping/Kneeling/Crouching/Crawling q q x q
Talking x q q q
Hearing x q q q
Feeling/Touching q x q q
Vision (Close, Peripheral, Depth, Ability to Adjust Focus) x q q q
Lifting up to 10 lbs. x q q q
Lifting 10-25 lbs. q x q q
Lifting 25-50 lbs. q q q x
Lifting more than 50 lbs. q q q x
GED or High School Diploma x Required / q Preferred
· Must have a personal lived experience of mental health and/or substance abuse issues and is living in recovery and willing to share their experience to assist others.
BHPP Job Qualifications:
· Associate’s Degree and one (1) year of full-time behavioral health work experience;
· Eighteen (18) college credit hours in a behavioral health discipline and two (2) years of full-time behavioral health work experience; Or
· A high school diploma or GED and four (4) years of full-time behavioral health work experience; Or
· A high school diploma or GED and two (2) years of full time experience at S.T.A.R.
· Must maintain a valid Arizona Driver’s License and maintain personal auto insurance.
· Motor Vehicle Record clearance required.
· Must be eligible and/or have a valid Fingerprint Clearance Card through the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Must be able to handle several tasks at once
· Good communication and follow-up skills
· Must demonstrate excellent rapport with members
· Computer/typing skills a must
· Specialty in the Arts i.e. Crafts, Drawing, Painting, Ceramics or Pottery
Professional Certifications & Licenses:
None q Required / q Preferred
Self-identify as a Peer by the International Association of Peer Supporters (I NAPS)
Or Mental Health America definition and/or have (or have had a history) of a
Mental Health/Behavioral Health or Substance Use/Abuse Diagnosis
(Bona Fide Occupational Qualification) x Required / q Preferred
Peer Certification q Required / x Preferred
At least 21 years of age (Bona Fide Occupational Qualification) x Required / q Preferred
Valid AZ Driver’s License x Required / q Preferred
CPR/First Aid Certification q Required / x Preferred
Covid-19 Vaccine and booster Required
Criminal Background Verification x Required / q Preferred
Pre-Hire and Random Drug/Alcohol Screening x Required / q Preferred
Personal Vehicle q Required / x Preferred