For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
As the inaugural Safety Program Manager of Bellwether, this role will work collaboratively with the Leadership Team, Property Management, Resident Services and Human Resources teams in designing, planning, implementing and overseeing a comprehensive and integrated risk and safety program for Bellwether Housing and its residential properties.
- Lead risk management activities across the entirety of the Bellwether Housing organization, including administrative offices and residential properties
- Provides authoritative risk and safety support, advice and recommendations in order to ensure effective risk management and compliance within the organization.
- Maintain and improve risk management processes, safety monitoring, systems, goals, objective and metrics to effectively implement and lead associated with the risk and safety plans at the administrative offices and residential properties
- Proactively collaborate with Residential team regarding safety measures for upcoming lease-ups and acquisitions, including onsite walk-throughs to identify necessary safety protocols
- Manage the risk register, ensuring a complete list of all identified risk factors, their definitions, risk score, prioritization and current status. Tracks risk mitigation activities against organization commitments
- Manage and coordinate new hire training for all staff to include but not limited to: emergency evacuation, de-escalation training (non-violent and active self defense training), active shooter
- Coordinate with Facilities Management team to facilitate new hire training for site & facilities staff to including but not limited: to fire safety, hazardous materials/bloodborne pathogens, asbestos / mold remediation / proper use of ladders & hand trucks & dumpster moving equipment.
- Create/ maintain/ update building specific emergency action plans and disaster preparedness kits / Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Conduct reviews of building incident reports to determine patterns and make recommendations on safety protocols. Collaborate with Site Managers to manage, track and resolve accident incident reports. Identify patterns and trends; Escalate and make recommendations to mitigate risk
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with leaders to understand interdependencies and identify mutually beneficial strategies and processes for resolution and mitigation of risks
- Maintains an inventory of external compliance requirements and regulatory commitments for Bellwether Housing and it’s residential properties and ensure proper mechanisms are in place to identify new compliance requirements or changes to existing regulations and requirements.
- Develops risk management processes, safety monitoring, systems, goals, objective and metrics to effectively implement and lead associated with the risk and safety plans throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement the risk register, ensuring a complete list of all identified risk factors, their definitions, risk score, prioritization, and current status. Propose and influence risk mitigation plans and strategies to the Leadership team, Department leaders and site staff. Tracks risk mitigation activities against organization commitments
- Manage and initiate organization-wide safety communications and collateral. Audit to ensure that safety communications and collateral is current and relevant.
- Assess effectiveness of the control environment through regular audits and collaborate with appropriate leaders to integrate compliance into daily work
- Manage organization wide Safety and Compliance Committee members and activities
- Collaborate with Human Resources to manage, track and resolve L&I claims. Identify patterns and trends; Escalate and make recommendations to mitigate risk
- Provide analysis and reporting to Leadership team of safety initiatives, statuses and implementation efforts
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure diversity, inclusion, equity and accessibility is considered in safety policies and procedures.
- Participate in safety investigations in partnership with other leaders as needed.
- Education, training and experience in occupational safety, compliance and risk management
- 5+ years of quality assurance, safety, investigation, resolution, compliance and related experience
- Must successfully pass a comprehensive state and federal criminal background check
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license and no dui convictions on driving record
- Must qualify to be covered by Bellwether Housing auto insurance (as appropriate)
- Must be willing to travel to all existing Bellwether Properties 50-75% of the time
- Report writing and data analysis
- Risk Management Certification
- OSHA Certification
- Management experience preferred
- Project management skills, familiarity with project management software
- Experience within a nonprofit and/or late-stage start-up environment
- Broad knowledge of safety practices, risk and compliance trends, issues, business operations and regulations
- Advanced knowledge of organizational risk management concepts, methods, practices and techniques
- Demonstrated interpersonal, influence and collaboration skills to effectively partner with leaders and peers in multiple departments and disciplines and facilitate effective cross-functional team-building
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking abilities to interpret and implement regulation and execution plans
- Analytical investigative and problem solving skills
- Facilitating and/or developing Safety trainings
Compensation: $80,000 - $88,000 per year DOE
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, long-term disability; employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Please Note: Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.