Cardinal Point Captains, Inc. (CPC) is seeking an experienced and qualified individual to serve as Research Operations Specialist (ROS) to the Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary (CBNMS) in Pt. Reyes Station, CA. The ROS will assist the CBNMS Research Coordinator in carrying out field work, data management and analysis, and science communication. Field activities primarily occur May through October. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Participate in the Applied California Current Ecosystem Studies (ACCESS) project, a collaborative ocean ecosystem project. Tasks include: Cruise planning and preparation, Participation in up to four multi-day research cruises per year, Manage data collected in the field, and develop summary reports.
- Provide Field support for research operations in CBNMS and surrounding areas aboard ONMS vessels, NOAA ships, partner vessels, and shore based field activities.
- Support science activities at the site including projects such as benthic surveys, hypoxia monitoring, and ocean noise monitoring.
- Conduct geographic information system (GIS) analysis. Which includes managing geospatial data; produce maps to support science, education, or resource protection programs and conduct spatial analysis.
- Develop science communication products, including topside research activities image and video libraries for use by ONMS staff.
- Develop maps using GIS to support research, education, and resource protection activities
- Assist with developing content or compiling resources.
- Provide content for science communication.
- M.S. in Marine Science or related preferred
- Knowledge of a range of marine associated disciplines to include ecology, oceanography, and fisheries.
- Experience on vessels and knowledge of safe vessel operations
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience with ArcGIS software
CPC is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.