For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
· Develop the talent (technical and soft skills) of each maintenance employee; co-constructing performance goals, objectives and development plans, and providing ongoing constructive performance feedback.
· Advocate for maintenance team; appreciates diversity within the team, including variety of communication styles; build trust and camaraderie across the organization.
· Resident / customer service focus, with understanding of the 24/7 nature of the team of essential employees dealing with emergencies, inclement weather, COVID and working in resident units regularly. Collaborate with Site Managers and Resident Services Coordinators to identify when maintenance should alert those team of issues they encounter when in resident units.
· Identify and drive maintenance management actions to support the acquisition and development of an additional 2,500 units of affordable housing over the next seven years.
· Demonstrate accountability for maintenance operations, including unit turnover, building cleaning, maintenance, and work order management. Ensure effective systems are in place for managing this work. Implement work order and inventory management functionality in the new enterprise-wide system (Yardi).
· Develop the annual budget for the department and monitor financial performance throughout the year, investigating discrepancies in budgeted to actual expenses.
· Manage vendor qualification process, including establishing and controlling process for maintaining qualified vendors for key functions to support peak workload, growth, and high unit turn times.
· Develop and evolve department policies, as necessary, to keep abreast of the changing regulations and maintain compliance with local, state, and federal laws. Look for ways to simplify policies and procedures and ensure they are written and communicated in a positive and inclusive manner.
· Provide maintenance expertise to Real Estate Development team when conducting due diligence in property acquisition and in the design of new construction / rehab projects.
· Collaborate with Property Management and safety team on risk management strategies.
· Ensure that emergency, on-call, and inclement weather support is planned and implemented. Participate in formulating and administering policies as well as Safety, Contingency, and Emergency Management plans.
· Monitor current building conditions and plan for preventive maintenance and energy efficiency; modify programs as needed to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
· Plan and implement capital repairs/replacements and consult on major rehab of properties in collaboration with Property Management, Real Estate Development, and Asset Management.
· Implement and maintain systems and documentation to track all facilities-related information, including contracts, warranties, service agreements, building plans, systems specifications, and other documentation relating to building maintenance needs.
· Ensure that work identified in Capital Needs Assessments (CNAs) is integrated into departmental work plans and coordinated with Property Management. Maintain working copies of CNAs; manage accessible archiving of work completed in buildings.
· Work with the Property Management, Asset Management, and Real Estate Development teams to ensure the long-term stewardship of Bellwether buildings.
· Drive solutions that increase performance, employee engagement, and maintain a positive work culture, including actions to foster an inclusive and equitable workplace and culture.
· Analyze, prepare, and present insightful facilities and maintenance information for leadership and Board of Directors in support of strategic planning and decision making.
· Encourage cross-departmental collaboration, personal initiative, accountability, and responsibility, with early work involving collaboration with the IT team on the implementation of an enterprise-wide system (Yardi) and examination of current policies and processes prior to implementation of the new system.
· Collaborate with Real Estate Development on the allocation and prioritization of workload of shared Construction Manager, who will support both existing and new buildings.
· Collaborate with the Senior Asset Manager on the Critical Asset Planning process designed to identify work required in the near, medium, and long-term to support our portfolio.
· Create and implement business process improvements in advance of new system implementation. Refine work order, inventory management, and unit turnover processes.
· Lead with an understanding, and desire to deepen understanding, of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities we serve.
Quality Control & Customer Service
· Create an environment that inspires a high level of service for residents to ensure properties are well maintained to provide high-quality homes for residents. Engage the entire department to ensure that work that has high resident impact is given top priority.
· Build authentic relationships with racially and socio-economically diverse employees and residents we serve.
· Ensure that when maintenance employees identify an issue indicating a resident needs support, they are communicating with the Property Management and Resident Services.
· Develop, track, and utilize key performance indicators to monitor and communicate the level of performance of the facilities and maintenance functions.
Other Position Requirements
Compensation: $125,000 to $145,000 Depending on experience
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, long-term disability; employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Please Note: Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.