This position is responsible for managing food service operations. They will ensure the program follows policies and procedures and meets state and grant requirements, ensure all proper record keeping is being done and submitted in compliance with guidelines, and recruit and train staff while ensuring a positive and efficient work environment conducive to growth. This position will also be responsible for teaching, creating, and implementing staff and assisting staff training programs for both sites.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
A representative summary of tasks to be performed is provided below. The employee may be asked to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically stated in this description. The duties and responsibilities of the position are to be carried out in a manner that is consistent with the mission, values and operating principles of the Buffalo City Mission.
- Responsible for all aspects of managing the Mission’s Food Service.
- Assist in preparing budgets and implement and operate within yearly budget constraints
- Recruit, onboard and train kitchen staff
- Prepare a variety of food service records and reports; review time sheets, financial statements, operating reports, inventory, and cost control records as needed.
- Communicate and build strong relationships with vendors
- Lead menu planning, assuring compliance with regulations and requirements; assure nutrition and dietary balance.
- Order food, supplies and kitchen equipment as needed
- Accurately maintain and keep all required food safety and prep logs required by New York State.
- Accurately maintain all necessary paperwork and work within guidelines of grant programs.
- Comply with all guidelines and record keeping of all kitchen programs.
- Be prepared for routine food safety inspections
- Ability to be highly flexible and creative with food donations and grants
- Maintain a sanitary environment that is in accordance with NYS Sanitary Regulations and ensure that staff is trained and performing in conformance with regulations.
- Establish an organized workable environment that lends towards easy food preparation
- Establish and ensure safe cleaning procedures according to regulation standards.
- Teach, create, and implement food service training programs for grant candidates, volunteers, and staff at all locations.
- Stay up to date with food service knowledge, regulations, and other aspects necessary in order to effectively teach training classes.
- Represent the organization to all clients, volunteers and fellow co-workers in a Christ like manner that serves as an example of Christian behavior.
- All other duties and responsibilities as needed by BCM.
Education and Experience:
· High School degree or GED minimum. Associates Degree preferred.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in high volume food service.
· SERV Safe Certified
· Minimum of 2 year supervisory experience
· Knowledge of OSHA guidelines and MSDS information.
· Experience working with diverse groups of people and stakeholders.
· Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office.
· In the midst of a mature walk with Jesus Christ and able to articulate belief.
· Ability to be on 24-hour call.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of safety guidelines and regulations.
- Teamwork -Relates well to all kinds of people regardless of level inside or outside of the organization. Uses diplomacy and tact when dealing with and interacting with others. Diffuses tension. Fosters collegial and cooperative attitudes. Works effectively to achieve common goals.
- - Listens to others, able to communicate issues clearly and credibly with widely varied audiences and overcome resistance; fosters open communication and manages emotion in positive ways.
- Client Focus - Understands and meets customer needs, whether internal or external, providing a high level of service and cooperation courteousness & sensitivity)
- Initiative & Adaptability - Deals with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities along with a personal willingness and ability to respond to changes.
- Christian beliefs compatible with the spiritual and pastoral mission of the Buffalo City Mission. Act as knowledgeable and effective ambassador to the community.
- Accountability – Willingly accepts personal responsibility for decisions, actions, attitudes and behaviors that contribute to the overall effectiveness of the organization. Communicates effectively, follows through on assignments, uses resources efficiently, participates in learning opportunities and treats others with respect and dignity.
- Excellence – Serves as a role model and performs job responsibilities to the highest standards in every situation. Demonstrates commitment to quality of service.
- Focus – Understands and demonstrates behaviors consistent with the mission and values of the organization while contributing to the overall success of the strategic plan.