Title: Connection Coach
Reports to: Chief Student Officer
Job Type: Exempt
Location: Kansas City, MO
Date: April 2021
About Skilled KC:
Our Skilled KC initiative intends to provide a student-centered learning experience t o support residents that want t o earn a credential that w ill set them on a successful career trajectory or give them a boost in their current profession to work, live, and earn. In partnership with m any organizations, Skilled KC will support closing the gap for people to access valuable credentials to jump start careers and find job placements.
Our Mission: To help individuals attain economic independence by advancing educational achievement and entrepreneurial success, consistent with the aspirations of our founder, Ewing Marion Kauffman.
What the Connection Coach will do:
The Connection Coach is responsible for guiding students through the Skilled KC program from prospect to completion. You will play a key role in our students’ success by providing support through the entire student life cycle including workforce education advisement, career counseling services, certification, and job placement.
- Provide workforce education advisement, and career counseling services, assist students in s electing their educational and career goals and enroll students in appropriate Skilled KC courses, programs and trainings.
- Train and mentor students in the creation and maintenance of their individual Workforce Education Plan for each pathway/certificate that a student is seeking.
- Monitor and track student matriculation while supporting students with program completion.
- Work closely with the enrollment/recruitment team, in supporting students a long their student lifecycle from prospect to completion while enrolled at Skilled KC Technical Institute.
- Perform certification/completion audits and transcript evaluations with students and for reporting purposes.
- Obtain, verify and record placement data of students, including but not limited to employment, internships and apprenticeships.
- Develop and maintain relationships with employers f or the purposes of partnerships, job leads, and job placement of students and graduates in their respective fields.
- Request and gather feedback from employers in the form of surveys, interview feedback, etc. to assess that students are meeting industry needs.
- Determine and provide career related assessments of personal aptitude, abilities, skills and knowledge. Analyze and interpret assessment results and incorporate in coaching model.
- Help students define and develop realistic educational workforce plans through schedule planning f or each session. Each student should have an up-to-date workforce education plan that projects through to completion.
- Follow-up with the student o n any report of unsatisfactory work (notice of class probation for poor attendance, notice of f ailing grades, incomplete grades from past sessions, etc.). Special attention should be paid to students who are placed on conditional admissions or academic probation.
- Approve all designated educational transactions ( e.g., pre-registration/registration schedule, drops/adds, change of pathway and, graduation requirements, etc.).
- Consult regularly with instructional colleagues in order to best support students
- Maintain an up-to-date student profile, with a summary record of performance to date (grade reports, transcript, requirements completed, etc.).
- Refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, attendance, or other personal problems require intervention by other professionals.
- Travel: 5%
- Bachelor’s degree in career education, advising, o r counseling p referred, o r 2-5 y ears’ experience in related field i s required.
- 2-5 years’ experience in higher education, career services or workforce case management.
- Experience in student mentoring, conflict resolution, student success initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability in counseling or guidance for students with disabilities, school psychology and providing ADA accommodations in higher education settings
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong sense of urgency, self-motivated, and detail oriented
- Proactive in resolving problems and issues
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employee retirement plan with up to 6% employer match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid time off for community service
- Work life balance
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.