Denver Scholarship Foundation (DSF) is seeking a Senior Director of Marketing and Communications to join our team. We are looking for passionate, driven individuals who desire to excel within an evolving organization. In 2019, 2020 and 2021, DSF was named one of the Denver Post’s Top Workplaces, a testament to our team and to our intentionality in co-creating a positive, inclusive work environment and culture. When you join the DSF team, you will enjoy a supportive, dynamic, and innovative environment where your work has an impact. As an organization, DSF strives to be a leader in the community by embodying the values of equity, innovation, leadership, learning, relationships, and integrity in everything we do.
DSF is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to inspire and empower DPS students to enroll in and graduate from postsecondary institutions of higher education, by providing the tools, knowledge and financial resources essential for success. Our core values guide our work. DSF is dedicated to learning and innovation, as we constantly seek to improve our services. By doing so, we seek to demonstrate leadership within the community. We build strong relationships with college staff members, partners, and the broader community. We are committed to equity and inclusivity, believing in the value and ability of all students.
We seek candidates who will model, live, and reinforce DSF’s mission and core values with colleagues, students, families, and the broader community. If you agree with the DSF philosophy and mission then, we invite you to join us and help make college possible for Denver's students.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, as part of the Marketing & Communications team, will oversee and supervise the development and implementation of DSF’s overall marketing, communications, public relations, and media strategies and will serve a lead role in the organizational strategic planning process. This position works to ensure that the highest strategic priorities of the organization are envisioned, articulated, and leveraged in a cohesive fashion in support of the mission.
The Senior Director of Marketing & Communications is a visionary, creative, energetic, and strategic-minded professional who is responsible for ensuring the strategic direction for DSF in all aspects of communication and marketing and is concurrently overseeing a multifunctional team to do the same. Additionally, the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications is expected to work closely with the Chief Development Officer, Director of Events, and Development Team on fundraising events, including DSF’s Annual Gala. To be successful in this role you must demonstrate strong leadership skills, manage multiple projects simultaneously, thrive in a fast-paced environment, value working collaboratively with colleagues while showing concern for people and community— demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, public speaking, good listening, and bring experience in staff supervision, motivation, media, public relations, and professional development.
- Oversee and supervise all marketing and communications efforts to inspire and inform internal and external audiences and increase the number of new constituents
- Ensure the identification and assessment of new marketing, events (panels, speaking engagements, etc.), public relations, development, and communications initiatives to engage internal and external audiences, projects, and programs
- Maintain, in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team, the integrity of the DSF brand including creation of visual assets, talking points, and collateral materials.
- Foster cross departmental organizational collaboration
- Mentor and serve as a coach for the the cross functional members of the Marketing & Communications team
- Develop and implement efficient systems and protocols that build productivity and equity
- Coordinate closely with the Executive Team on strategic partnership and increased visibility for the overall organization
- Develop, execute, and manage a strategic communications program - including crisis communications, internal communications, and external communications - aligned to DSF’s vision, mission, and strategic plan goals to support long-term vision and immediate goals
- Promote, enhance, and protect the DSF brand across to position DSF in the marketplace
- Develop strategic, creative marketing, content, and campaigns across diverse media channels to increase target audience participation in and support of key initiatives
- Oversee research and interpretation of customer and audience information
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing and targeting reach
- Provide oversight, supervision, and mentorship to the Communications Manager, Marketing & Projects Coordinator, and Graphic Designer & Marketing Manager
- Evaluate and set goals for marketing promotions across media channels
- Develop and steward relationships with key local and national media, and serve as spokesperson as needed, to represent DSF to the press and public
- Prepare all other spokespeople with appropriate data and media training
- Maintain strong working relations with, and create coherence and coordination between, executive leadership, senior management, and all departments to develop and maintain collaborative connections and relationships across all functions and levels at DSF
- Remains informed of developments in marketing and communications as well as the general fields of management and the not-for-profit sector; informs the Chief Executive Officer, Marketing & Communications committee, and board on current trends, issues, problems, and activities to facilitate policy making.
- Works with Chief Executive Officer to review and craft language regarding policy positions as appropriate
- Use data from various sources (i.e., Google analytics, social media reach, and open rates of communications) to drive and measure the effectiveness of the strategy
- Build and manage an annual budget to achieve marketing and communications goals
- Provide oversight to outside agencies, vendors, and consultants
- Serves as staff liaison to DSF Marketing & Communications Committee including working with the chair of the committee to strategize the goals of the meeting, set the agenda and recruit committee members
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Teams, and Share Point
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Knowledge of WordPress and HTML a plus
- Self-starter and independent thinker with creative abilities
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, analytical, and organization skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Decisiveness to act quickly and prudently and with a strong sense of urgency
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships both inside and outside the organization
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse community
- Commitment to the DSF mission
- Experience working with culturally diverse and communities with low-income
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in advertising, marketing, business administration, or communications with a minimum of five to seven (5-7) years in successful marketing and management experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience
- Experience using digital and social advertising platforms, tools, and campaigns to support fundraising initiatives and increase brand awareness.
- Experience creating high-quality content for consumption, including writing for the web, print, and social media, and editing and proofreading to ensure a high level of quality control
Compensation & Benefits
• $80,000 to $100,000
• 401(k) plan $ for $ Match up to 5%
• Group health, dental, and vision insurance (low to no cost premium plans offered)
• Paid holidays and Winter Break
• Trusted Time Off (unlimited vacation policy following 90 days)
• Professional Development
• Summer Fridays 1/2 days (June and July)
Denver Scholarship Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Learn about DSF’s commitment to Equity & Inclusion.