Position: Kitchen Staff
Classifications: Part Time, Food & Beverage Staff, Hourly/Non-Exempt
Reports To: Chef/Culinary Manager
Evaluation Due: Annually by Supervisor with input from Director of Food & Beverage
1. Physical Demands: Requires prolonged standing, walking, some sitting, bending, stooping, stretching, navigating stairways, standing, and lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient for keyboarding and departmental equipment. Requires normal and/or correctable range of hearing and vision as well as multi-tasking and time management/awareness.
3. Work Conditions: Includes office and kitchen/event environments, involving contact with staff and the public. Requires irregular hours and changes to schedule due to deadlines and frequent interruptions due to project timelines and due to the organization’s commitment to be 100% event driven which may be stressful at times and may involve dealing with angry, confused or upset people.
4. Job Objective
Assures that the coordination of the hospitality, food preparation/service and general kitchen activities of the center meet or exceed expectations.
6. Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA)
Combination of education and experience in culinary arts/food management and business operations is required. Certification in food management/food preparation is required. Possess good communication skills (including the ability to read, write and speak clearly/consistently in English), ability to work well with people, ability to function in a busy environment with multiple interruptions, orientation to detail, computer literacy and proficiency required. Must be comfortable with technology and social media. A valid state driver’s license is required.
Must be 16 years of age and the following KSAs are preferred; knowledge of convention/tradeshow industry, catering practices, effective supervisorial experience for staff and project management, and ability to anticipate/identify problems or potential problems and achieve effective resolution.
7. Duties and Responsibilities
a. Collaboration & Communication
· Keeps supervisor apprised of any kitchen equipment maintenance or repair needs.
· Assists with calculating food requirements, menus development, and recipes.
· Assists with issue resolution due to shortages in food orders, mistakes made during food preparation and cooking, and last-minute changes made to service time and event attendees.
· Assures all sanitation, food handling, SDS materials, and food safety procedures/standards are followed/maintained in the kitchen.
· Keeps all refrigeration, equipment, storage and working areas clean.
c. Culinary Arts
· Performs food preparation, cooking, and serving according to health department and center standards.
· Completes kitchen staff training on basic knife and cooking skills/procedures for food preparation.
· Resolves any issues which arise due to shortages in food ordered, mistakes made during food preparation/cooking, and last-minute changes to event attendee counts.
d. Departmental Staffing
· Assists with training of kitchen staff and cross-training staff on basic knife and cooking skills/procedures for food preparation which can be applied to key menu items and concessions.
8. Secures work area before departing each day.