**This position is a regular, full-time position that is temporarily a remote position, but will be located in our Austin office when it is safe. **
Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Would you enjoy working on a variety of projects with unique challenges and requirements in one of the most exciting cities in the country? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Project Engineer in Austin, TX, working in collaboration with the Austin Transportation Department’s (ATD) Active Transportation and Street Design Division.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 190+ engineering, design and planning professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects throughout Austin.
As a Project Engineer, the things you design will get built! You’ll use state of the art tools and practices to help create sustainable multimodal transportation infrastructure. You’ll work with your colleagues to engage communities, develop concepts, produce quick-build schematic-level construction documents, assist with the implementation of multimodal projects that range from small improvements to full-scale street reconfigurations, and review private development and capital project plans for better multimodal outcomes. In an indusProject Engineetry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of designing and implementing real solutions.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We’re proud that about half of our managers are female, and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
About our Austin team:
Toole Design has a multi-year contract to provide full-time staff support to ATD’s Active Transportation and Street Design Division. Our Austin team is an integral part of ATD’s nationally recognized street design team to design and implement a variety of projects as part of the City’s $720 million 2016 Mobility Bond. The contract supports the Bikeways, Safe Routes to School, and Sidewalks bond programs, and Transit Speed & Reliability work in partnership with the Capital Metro Transportation Authority.
Austin is on the leading edge of multimodal transportation, and the Toole Design team is a key part of a strategy to double the rate of project design and implementation in support of the 2016 Mobility Bond and other growing program needs. This is an exciting opportunity to work with ATD’s incredible staff and be part of a team that will transform the way people move in one of the most exciting cities in the country. This is a full-time, permanent position and you will have ongoing opportunities with TDG in Austin or other locations in America’s most exciting cities.
You’ll be great here if:
• You want to develop and implement projects that will have an immediate impact on communities
• Making a positive difference in how people get around by foot, transit, bike, or car is your passion
• You enjoy building strong relationships across disciplines and between departments
• You deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
• You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbally, or graphically
• You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
• You’re motivated to tackle new challenges and develop creative solutions
We’ll offer you:
• The chance to design and implement transportation projects that positively and directly affect communities across the City of Austin
• An environment that fosters innovative, thoughtful, internationally-aligned best design practices
• The unique opportunity to work with one of the most inventive city transportation departments in the country and industry-leading engineers and designers at Toole Design and the City of Austin
• The ability to work directly with licensed engineers everyday
• The potential to grow as a professional and advance in a company that prefers to promote from within
• Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click "Apply for this Job" below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/careers and select the corresponding position. You will need a resume, cover letter, and 150 word statement on your commitment to equity and diversity. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).
• A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, urban design, landscape architecture, or related field
• 5+ years of transportation experience, with a demonstrated interest in developing construction documents
• Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineer Intern (EI) designation
• Experience with Computer Automated Design (preferably MicroStation but AutoCad OK)
• A broad knowledge base in civil engineering (transportation focus)
• Detailed design experience for intersection and corridor wide improvements, including, but not limited to, multimodal accommodations for all ages and abilities, meeting minimum ADA and drainage requirements.
• Specific knowledge of horizontal and vertical roadway geometric design (AASHTO and MUTCD)
• Experience developing construction documents and cost estimates
• Familiarity with traffic engineering and modeling software (such as Synchro)
• Interest in multimodal and active transportation issues and design (specifically for bicycle, pedestrian, Safe Routes to School, and/or transit integration)
• Excellent task and time management skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
Additional desired qualities include:
• Professional Engineering license (Texas preferred)
• Experience with bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and Safe Routes to School issues for all ages and abilities
• Demonstrated experience developing construction documents
• Experience reviewing construction plans and providing constructive feedback
• Knowledge of advanced multimodal roadway design and NACTO design guidance
• Experience reviewing submittals from private developments and large capital projects
• Working proficiency in Spanish
• Experience working on transit projects