JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant I STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Medical Assistant I reports to the Operations Manager and is responsible for front office functions and administrative duties that support, operational and clinical programs, including providers, to perform their duties and necessary functions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the initial company contact for potential, new, and existing patients.
- Completes outlined protocols and procedures related to managing new and existing patients.
- Acts as a liaison for patients to coordinate direct care services and to reach support departments.
- Performs Administrative duties, as assigned by supervisor
- Previous experience with billing software and EHR applications.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products – i.e., Word, Excel, Power Point.
- 1-2 years prior experience in a medical office
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend basic medical terminology.
- Length of time sitting could amount to 1/3 to ½ of shift
- Length of time standing could amount to 1/3 to ½ of shift
- Ability to hear and speak to clients on the telephone and in person
COMPETENCY EVALUATION CRITERIA
Serves as the initial company contact for potential, new, and existing patients.
- Answer multiple phone lines in a professional, courteous manner.
- Process patient referrals, forms and other correspondence such as letters requested by the patient in a timely manner, participating in the referral development process as needed.
Completes outlined protocols and procedures related to managing new and existing patients.
- Schedule new and current patients according to the provider’s needs and preferences, and support providers as appropriate.
- Complete new patient process in a timely manner (interface with patients, schedule patient, call or verify online for benefits and send new patient packet and ensure patient brings completed packet to appointment). Ensure that all records are received from referral source prior to appointment.
- Generate and send daily reports for reminder calls.
- Calls all no-show appointments and cancellations to reschedule appointment.
- Completes daily census
- Assists with meal provision to program patients
- Maintains and audits patient charts for compliance and deficiencies.
Acts as a liaison for patients to coordinate care services and to reach support departments.
- Assist patients with questions regarding billing/insurance issues.
- Collects co-payments and self-pay payments from patients and posts to billing system.
- Coordinates with billing department for billing/insurance issues and problem resolution, as needed and required.
- Effectively communicate any patient information or updates to providers as needed.
- Demonstrates the ability to use Electronic Health Record an additional software programs to access patient information.
Performs Administrative duties, as assigned by supervisor
- Office supply ordering, addressing copier and postage machine needs, mail receipt/distribution and fax receipt/distribution.