Manager of Finance2021-22 School Year (Desired start: August 1, 2021)
Impact Public Schools
Impact Public Schools (IPS) invites passionate individuals with a background in finance to apply for the position of Manager of Finance located in Tukwila, WA (just south of Seattle). Being a part of the Impact team is a unique opportunity. We are deeply committed to achieving our mission of preparing a diverse population of students to succeed in college and impact communities as the next generation of equity-driven, innovative leaders. Our schools are small, tightly-knit families where every child is known, guided by an individual learning plan and loved by an adult mentor. Our strong community is rooted in high expectations, joy and exudes our core values:
- Bold Ambitions - We envision self-driven students and adults who develop the skills, habits and mindsets to impact communities and invent the future; we support one another in achieving step-by-step excellence along the way.
- Brave Solidarity - Diversity strengthens and enlivens us. Dissatisfied yet optimistic, we bring a lens of equity and inclusion to each decision and each day.
- Team WA - All of Washington is our team. We are powerful when we work together, so we build relationships based on empathy and strive together towards outstanding outcomes for all public school students.
- Everyone Grows - We approach each day as an opportunity to learn and grow. We work hard towards our own just-right goals, cheering each other on as we redefine potential.
- Play Big - We celebrate. We wonder. We ask. We make and invent and imagine. We play big.
- Intention - In the tiny and the huge, we keep the end in mind and reflect on the potential effects of our choices.
The Manager of Finance is responsible for accounting, payroll, and financial reporting critical to the successful operations of Impact Public Schools. Impact Public Schools has a high degree of financial complexity, as it operates multiple entities and reports out to the state, its authorizer, and funders. The Manager of Finance reports to the Director of Finance and works closely with school leaders and members of the home office team.
Essential Functions of the Manager of Finance
Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
- Gather all accounts payable information, accurately code invoices, ensure approvals are properly secured and stored, and ensure that vendors are paid correctly.
- Record monthly apportionment for each school.
- Partner with the Director of Finance to ensure that Impact Public Schools collects all accounts receivable in full each month, following up on funds that are not received.
- Prepare monthly intercompany invoices and reconcile the credit card statement.
Payroll & Benefits
- Accurately run payroll for the whole organization 1/month.
- Accurately manage benefits collections/payments.
- Accurately manage retirement collections, reporting and payments, working in collaboration with DRS as special circumstances arise.
Compliance & Insurance
- Conduct AR/AP management with an eye towards ensuring that Impact is in compliance with its fiscal policies, all requirements of law, requirements of its authorizer, and requirements of funders.
- Support Director of Finance in reviewing for accuracy and sharing monthly Profit & Loss Detail, Budget to Actuals, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement, and Bank Account Reconciliations.
- Support preparation of, and in some cases prepare, monthly reports necessary for the board, state funding and other stakeholders.
- Prepare time and effort logs and ensure other related backup documents are stored and completed.
- Support audit process, working with accounting firm, CPA, state auditor’s office, and others.
Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Finance Expert: Strong financial management, reporting, and analysis skills. Deep accounting knowledge. Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically. Ability to analyze data and information quickly.
- Strong Communicator & Project Manager: Excellent communication, collaboration, project management, and problem-solving skills. Committed to growing and welcomes feedback.
- Thrives in Startup Environment: Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment. Willingness to work autonomously, collaboratively, and/or under the direction of senior staff, as needed. Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude.
- Commitment to Mission & Equity: Strong belief in the IPS mission and educational model. Demonstrated commitment to equity. Exceptionally high integrity.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Masters in Business, Public Administration, or related field a plus
- Financial management experience preferred
- Previous start-up experience and/or experience in a high-performing school a plus
Home office members will spend at least 1.5 days a week at school sites. Home office members will work at each school site (Seattle, Tukwila, Tacoma) at least once a week. When not at a school site, work is performed remotely.
- Prior to the start date of employment all employees need to obtain clearance on a criminal justice fingerprint and background check.
- Prior to being made an offer, the hiring manager will ask candidates to complete a character and fitness form from the Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- An offer is contingent upon verification that the person is authorized to work in the United States for any employer
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. IPS offers a full benefits package and opportunities for professional growth.
Commitment to Diversity:
IPS seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of our student movement.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Equal employment opportunity and respect in the workplace are fundamental principles at Impact Public Schools (IPS). IPS prohibits and does not tolerate harassment, intimidation, bullying, discriminatory, or retaliatory behavior. All aspects of your employment are based upon your personal capabilities and qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, disability, age, military status, marital status, partnership status, status as a victim of domestic violence, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected class as established by federal, state, or local law. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Jen Wickens, CEO, 3438 S. 148th St., Tukwila , WA 98186, (206)712-7640, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in this position? Please visit impactps.org/careers to apply online. You will be asked to submit a resume and cover letter.