TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We are seeking a Waste Management Youth Leadership Coordinator to join our Generation Earth Environmental Education team. This program inspires, educates, and trains K-12 students to become leaders in their communities, in helping their school campuses and surrounding communities to become green and to become agents for climate resilience. This position will educate teachers, students, and community groups on waste management topics, such as recycle, compost, reuse, etc.
- Work with teachers and students in professional development workshops and environmental service learning projects focused on waste and waste management systems in schools.
- Build, establish and maintain partnerships with schools, administrators, school districts, and youth to strengthen our goals and map to targeted regions identified by TreePeople and Los Angeles County.
- Assist with updating programs and toolkits to align with current academic standards in relation to waste and waste management systems.
- Assess program to ensure equity, inclusion and cultural integration and relevance.
- Support teachers with the accomplishment of waste-related environmental service learning projects and the campus community in successfully completing environmental projects.
- Assist in managing program support through teacher facilitators, on-site visits, telephone, fax and email.
- Responsible for maintaining all tasks related to waste education workshops (including, but not limited to, Professional Development, Technical Assistance workshops).
- Assist with the administration of evaluation instruments and collecting assessment data for all workshops and service learning projects.
- Track and report all service learning tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to ensure proactive progress.
- Represent TreePeople and the Generation Earth program in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.