Provide a successful, safe, and supervised educational setting for children while that are in the Early
Childhood environment (classroom, outdoor play areas, and field trips). Promote the social,
emotional, physical, and cogitative development of enrolled children. Encourage parent involvement
in all aspects of the program. Develop individual goals for children, provide on-going assessment on
progress and facilitate transition into preschool program. Partner with Content Specialists and
Community resources to ensure all needs and/or concerns for child/families enrolled are being
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a welcoming and friendly classroom environment for all children, parents, and visitors, including a regularly updated educational and informative parent board.
- Prepare the classroom environment and materials to support developmentally appropriate curriculum plans and learning experiences.
- Engage with and supervise children during all activities, encouraging experimentation, exploration, problem solving, cooperation, socialization, and choice-making.
- Ensure that the appearance, cleanliness, and the safety of the classroom environment are appropriately maintained, following all program, state, and federal guidelines.
- Complete and submit all required daily, weekly, and monthly documentation.
- Provide support and direction to the teacher assistant(s) to ensure a productive, orderly, and cohesive classroom.
- Coordinate with the Center Site Manager and Specialists in the planning, implementation and
- follow-up of identified health, social service and disability needs for all classroom children and
- Communicate with parents in a friends and effective manner, including greeting them by name, addressing concerns in a respectful and timely manner, giving positive feedback, and providing regular updates on their child’s development and classroom happenings.
- Organize, conduct and assure follow-up of home visit/parent-teacher conferences to assigned
- Identify opportunities and/or problems in the classroom and the center and resolve them in cooperation with appropriate program staff.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding information regarding families, coworkers, and self.
- Reporting any suspected Child Abuse and Neglect in accordance with State, Tribal and Federal
- Participating in all program required professional development, including days when the program’s childcare center is closed and childcare is not provided through the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Willingness to educationally work on a Child Development Associate (CDA). Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, preferred.
- Experience working with children in a group setting, experience with mixed age groups preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of culturally diverse populations and their needs.
- Ability to apply Early Childhood Development theory in daily activities and adapt to the individual needs of children.
- Keyboarding skills, computer literacy and familiarity with various applications such as word processing, email and internet.
- Ability to obtain CPR/First Aid/AED certification and Food Handler’s Card.
- Ability to respond appropriately (both mentally and physically) to an emergency or a crisis
- Ability to interact with children at their eye level (sitting, kneeling, stooping, bending) for the majority of the day.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas verbally and in writing, in a way that others will understand.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to apply Early Childhood Development theory in daily classroom activities, and adapt to the individual needs of children.
- Proficiency with computers and programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet.
- Valid Driver’s License and Insurance.
- CPR/First Aid/AED certification within 6 months of employment.
Conditions of Employment:
The Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma operates a drug-free workplace.
- Must submit to and pass applicable drug test, TB test, and Physical.
- Must pass background investigations for suitability of character identified in accordance with
the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, and Child Care and Development Fund, 45 C.F.R. § 98.43(a)(2).
- Adhere to all work rules, policies & procedures, and safety standards.
Position involves prolonged sitting, standing, stooping, or bending, lifting, or carrying up to 50 pounds on a daily basis. Work is generally performed in an office environment with varying levels of lighting, air quality, noise, and / or temperature.