Black Diamond is looking for an exceptional industrial designer who shares our passion for designing and making the world’s best products for mountain athletes. You would be joining a multidisciplinary team of designers, and product developers passionate about designing products for the sports we love.
As an Industrial Designer at Black Diamond you:
- Love each step in the process including problem identification, concept development, prototype creation, user testing and product launch;
- Thrive in a collaborative environment where you work in tight coordination with design engineers, product developers, and marketing partners;
- Are experienced in blending consumer electronics with innovative multi-material solutions including plastics, metals, fabrics and foams;
- Are devoted building empathy for your user and making the right decisions for your users be it form, function, performance or price point.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design (or other closely related field) or relevant work and design experience;
- Three (3) or more years of post graduation experience;
- Ability to quickly and efficiently generate sketches, renderings, and product models in a way that communicates design intent at a variety of levels;
- High level of 3D modeling & surfacing skills;
- Experienced in hard good and soft good prototyping;
- Skilled at creating tech packs for both prototyping and production;
- Be experienced in collaborating with engineering & manufacturing partners to create CAD data;
- Core understanding of the sports Black Diamonds serves;
- Be comfortable performing user research in mountain environments;
- Strong communication skills; written, verbal, visual, etc.;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft suite tools;
- Valid Drivers License and Passport or ability to obtain one.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Five (5) years post graduation experience.
- Experience in consumer electronics.
- Experience working with manufacturing partners & material suppliers.
We will count on you to:
- Generate concepts through brainstorming and other creative processes;
- Create sketches, renderings, surface models, solid models, mock ups, prototypes or other representations of the design as appropriate to each specific project;
- Generate appropriate color options, product graphics, logos, and other markings;
- Select appropriate materials and manufacturing processes;
- Work closely with the Design Engineer and Developer to ensure the selected vendor is building parts and products to the design intent;
- Follow and adhere to the timeline requirements of the assigned project;
- Present project status in regular design reviews;
- Process design change orders in a timely and accurate manner;
- Research new materials and technologies for potential use for Black Diamond products;
- Travel domestically and internationally to conduct research, work with vendors, attend tradeshows;
- other job-related functions.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability. BD offers supplemental accident, hospital insurance and pet insurance, 401k match, and paid time off for vacation, wellness, volunteer time, and parent time. You will enjoy a relaxed dress code and a dog friendly office. If your passions are in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy discounts on industry gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.