U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
This Product Owner role is the steward for U.S. Soccer’s fan-facing, owned digital channels. As Product Owner, you’ll be responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of ussoccer.com, the U.S. Soccer mobile app, and the Customer Data Platform (CDP). You’re the day-to-day owner of the backlog, feature prioritization, and bug fixes, executing against the roadmap and shepherding improvements from ideas to production builds. This means you’ll be the interface between Product, Engineering, Marketing, and other relevant teams. In some cases, you’ll also be responsible for publishing content and keeping information on the website and mobile app accurate and up to date.
This is a data-driven role that requires both a keen feel for best data practices and a sharp analytical sense to determine/deliver relevant KPIs, mine insights, and inform overall strategy. As the CDP owner, you’ll work closely with the Data Science and Engineering teams to maintain a master 360-degree view of the customer that enables business intelligence for internal stakeholders and personalized marketing journeys for fans.
• Own the maintenance and delivery of new features for web, app, and CDP such that the digital experience aligns with our Commercial Strategy
• Serve as the internal product expert and the point of contact for feedback and bug reports
• Work with Marketing, Communications, and other internal stakeholders to ensure products are functioning as intended
• Publish important match updates to deliver the intended fan experience (This includes heightened activity during U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Team matches, which often occur in the evenings and/or on weekends)
• Work with the Digital and Marketing teams to enable and optimize customer journeys across email, web, app, social, and paid channels.
• Maintain the product backlog with epics and user stories
• Assess value, develop cases, prioritize product feature backlog to ensure team is focused on delivering maximum value
• Run agile ceremonies with internal and external team members. This includes working closely with project managers from outside agencies
• Provide backlog management, iteration planning, and elaboration of the user stories
• Facilitate communication between internal stakeholders and delivery team members
• Mitigate impediments impacting successful team completion of Release/Sprint goals
• Provide product demos and presentations to end users and other members of the Commercial team
• Monitor and communicate project health through status and burndown reporting
• Coordinate and lead the product launch activities
• Set the expectation for delivery of new functionalities
• Hire, develop, and performance manage Junior Product Owner(s)
• Collect and analyze feedback from stakeholders to shape requirements, features, and products
• Manage existing software vendors, vet potential additions against U.S. Soccer’s requirements, and negotiate terms
• 2+ years of product ownership or business analyst experience
• B2B or B2C software development experience
• Most comfortable at a fast-growing company with a startup-type culture (eager to be hands-on)
• Demonstrable ability to think analytically, turn behavioral data into insights, and use data to drive decisions
• Experience with Jira or similar product development tool
• Experience developing tactical plan using Google Analytics
• People management experience, and consider yourself a people manager first
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional time management skills -- ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks based on impact
• Able and willing to travel up to 5% of the year
• Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends as needed
• Scrum certification (CSPO/PSPO or similar)
• Agile certification (PMI-ACP or similar)
• Experience managing a fan-facing enterprise tech stack to (CMS, CRM, Push, Email, Data Warehouse, Identity Management)
• Experience with web and mobile development
• SEO expertise
• Google AdManager or Doubleclick experience (or similar ad-serving service)
• Experience loading and publishing videos with Brightcove
• Strong knowledge of data usage in sports and sports business
• Passion for soccer and a solid understanding of the soccer landscape in the United States
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
• Live our Principles & Values
• Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
• Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
• Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
• Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
• Open to criticism and does not make excuses
• Possess a tireless work ethic
• Wants to be part of a team that wins
• Has the ability to be firm but fair
• Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
• Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills