The Vice President for Development and Communications is a key leader in advancing ISC’s mission and strategic direction. ISC’s mission is to help communities around the world address economic, social, and environmental challenges to build a better future shaped and shared by all. Our strategic goal is to accelerate climate, sustainability, and equitable solutions in the United States and Asia by transforming communities, cities, regions and supply chain factories -- making them more climate smart, inclusive, and prosperous. Given the increasing urgency of the climate crisis, the Board of Directors has decided to double the size of the organization to increase its impact. The Vice President will lead this effort in partnership with the President, Board and senior staff. The VP will also oversee the development and implementation of ISC’s external branding, communications, messaging, and outreach strategies in support of ISC’s overall direction and expansion goals. We are looking for a senior development professional with demonstrated experience and contacts in a relevant field who shares our passion for addressing both climate change and social injustice.
Position will be located in Washington, D.C., or Montpelier, Vermont. Will also consider: New York City, Chicago, or California. Extensive travel (up to 50%) domestically and internationally is required.
- As a member of ISC’s Management Team, develop and lead ISC’s efforts to generate new programmatic and unrestricted funding, in partnership with President, Board and senior leadership.
- Design and implement a communications strategy that raises ISC’s profile and improves our messaging to key audiences.
- Direct the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate, and foundation donors. Drive efforts to broaden the donor base and revenue streams.
- Support the work of the President and the Board in the development and stewardship of high profile relationships. Actively lead and participate in informational and pitch meetings.
- Working with program teams, increase menu of funders and number of prospects, stewarding outreach and connection to funders.
- Drive strategic, consistent, and inspirational messaging for the organization in order to broaden the influence and reach of ISC’s voice and complement program goals. Reposition and realign messaging as organization expands.
- Build the capacity of program teams and facilitate cross learning for successful program business development efforts, providing expertise and advice on program design and pitch strategy.
- Design work plans and budget projections for fundraising and communications; monitor and evaluate cost effectiveness of activities.
- Oversee development data collection and analysis, including organizational win/loss metrics and roll up of program measurement into organization-wide performance metrics tied to strategic goals.
- In collaboration with program teams, manage internal systems to originate, monitor, and execute upon qualified, competitively bid funding prospects and RFPs.
- Manage 4-5 central Development and Communication staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in related area of expertise.
- At least five years of executive level fundraising experience with private foundations, corporations and major donors on a national and international scale.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Commitment to ISC’s mission and goals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for ISC’s mission and goals, coupled with work experience and donor contacts in one or more of the following areas: clean energy, climate adaptation & resilience, equity & inclusion, environmental health, sustainable manufacturing, community development, and climate justice.
- Successful track record of increasing revenues through strategic development planning and implementation.
- Strong track record in program design and proposal development.
- Experience with strategic communications, messaging, and rebranding.
- Exceptional donor and customer relationship management skills and experience.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; engaging and persuasive public speaking skills.
- Strategic thinker with a can-do, entrepreneurial attitude.
- Strong manager, leader, and team player.
- Strong facility with the utilization of advanced CRM systems like Salesforce to improve customer relationships to track and drive greater fundraising performance.
Office environment with frequent domestic and international travel.
ISC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workplace. Women, persons with disabilities, and people from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.