Northwest Classical Academy seeks a full-time Paraprofessional. The Elementary School Paraprofessional supports teachers in meeting the educational, behavioral and social emotional needs of students with disabilities in the classroom and community. They are expected to demonstrate high moral character and work collaboratively to create a working and learning environment for all students that is safe, secure, and respectful. This position reports to the Principal on Northwest Classical Academy’s Kennesaw campus.
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides small group and/or individualized instruction to students with disabilities in accordance with the supervising teachers' lesson plans.
- Collects instructional and behavioral data for all objectives being taught for each student.
- Implements Behavior Intervention Plans for students with disabilities.
- Monitors students before and after school and during non-instructional transition periods.
- Supervises students closely during breakfast and/or lunch and/or recess and/or getting off the bus.
- Assists students as necessary with physical needs including feeding, toileting, lifting and mobility.
- Assists students with healthcare procedures including hygiene and medications as needed for daily care.
- Assists students with assistive technology devices including communication devices, switches and orthopedic devices needed for sitting, walking or standing.
- Performs other duties as assigned by classroom teacher or appropriate administrator.
- Assist the lead teachers with lesson preparation, instruction, and classroom management.
Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Associate's Degree OR
- High School Diploma/GED with passing score on the GACE Paraprofessional Assessment Test required
- Two to three years experience working as a paraprofessional with children with disabilities, or comparable experience required
- Valid Georgia Paraprofessional Certificate preferred
Strong candidates will support the school’s Mission: to develop students in mind and character through a classical, content-rich curriculum that emphasizes the principles of virtuous living, traditional learning, and civic responsibility. They will have enthusiasm for the Vision: to be a nationally regarded K-12 classical school and serve as a local and national incubator for growth and promotion of classical education. And they will embody the school’s organizational values. We value
- the tenets of classical, liberal arts education;
- community and partnership in the common pursuit of forming intelligent, virtuous citizens;
- excellence in teaching and learning;
- the virtues we aim to teach our students: courage, courtesy, honesty, perseverance, self-government, and service.
About Atlanta Classical Academy/Northwest Classical Academy:
Atlanta Classical Academy presently employs approximately 100 faculty and staff members, and it is leading the effort to open a sister school twenty-five miles away in Kennesaw, Georgia. Before August 2021, the team will hire 50 new employees and launch Northwest Classical Academy (“NCA”) for approximately 500 students in grades K – 6. NCA would expand each year and ultimately serve grades K – 12. The children of full-time employees have enrollment preference and would be offered a seat in the school.
Atlanta Classical Academy and Northwest Classical Academy are independently operated public schools chartered by Atlanta Public Schools and the Georgia Department of Education, and Georgia’s State Charter Schools Commission, respectively. Each are equal-opportunity employers. Interested candidates should apply via the school’s career site. Candidates must attach a letter of introduction, a C.V. or resume, and three character references to their application. For staff positions, please also attach a 300-500 word answer to how your work will contribute to fulfilling the school’s mission. For faculty positions, please attach a 300-500 word “statement of educational philosophy.”