Operations Intern (Stipend Only)
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth, but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture and rigorous real world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self aware and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The programs three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
The ideal intern should be an organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated person with great customer service skills. A strong candidate will have the ability to function in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.The selected candidate will gain understanding of the functions, goals, and workings of the non-profit sector, including hands-on experience in Business Administration.
- Support the Business Administrator in the completion of several facilities improvement projects
- Provide customer service related to office management functions
- Perform daily walk throughs around the school’s facilities and report any facilities/safety concerns to the Business Administrator
- Maintain office files (hard-copy and electronic)
- Manage procurement and purchasing including supplies, furniture and equipment for the entire staff in accordance with purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions
- Maintain inventory of office supplies
- Coordinate mail and shipping: posting, processing and dropping off of mail and/or UPS and FedEx; maintain mail and shipping supplies.
- Assist the Business Administrator in planning meetings and events for YouthBuild staff and YouthBuild Board of Trustees.
- Other duties as assigned and provide additional support as needed
- Currently enrolled in a 4 year degree program in Business Administration, Operations Management, Facilities Management, or any other related field.
- Proven success working with a team in a professional environment or at a college-level project/assignment.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of staff
- Advanced proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Excel, intermediate knowledge of Word, and PowerPoint, highly recommended
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to utilize multiple sources of information to determine a solution
- Self-motivated with the ability to apply and continually develop technical skills
- Ability to take initiative and accept ownership and responsibility for assigned projects
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to work in fast-paced open environment with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
- The internship will be sponsored by the Operations Department and will be paid on a stipend basis.
- The stipend will be in the amount of $1,500.
- Time frame: 12 weeks based on start date and academic calendar.
- Hours: Up to 20 hours per week with a flexible schedule.
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
- Act 168 Sexual Misconduct Form
This job description does not imply that these are the only tasks to be performed by the selected intern. Additional duties might be requested by the supervisory team.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.